GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liking any other VW Models?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Ha ha, no such luck getting the R. It wasn’t even an R-Line. It was the Design model with a lowly 1.5 150ps (148bhp) engine and 6 speed manual gearbox.

Ah gotcha - I wonder if the actual R has the same cheap interior? I think it will sell very well in UK/Europe, real shame it won't come to the US. While I personally would sooner stick to the Golfs, IMO it's one of those where the guys with demanding 'SUV wives' but who really want a Golf R/GTI could compromise on 😉.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yes, the interior plastics in R are the same as the rest of the T-Roc range - the door cards and top of the dashboard are hard scratchy plastic. Even Audi which is considered to be the ‘premium‘ brand of the four VAG brands (Audi, VW Seat and Skoda) in Europe and the UK are now fitting hard plastic door cards to some of their smaller cars - the A1 and Q2 has them. I don’t think you get either of those Audi models in the US.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, the interior plastics in R are the same as the rest of the T-Roc range - the door cards and top of the dashboard are hard scratchy plastic. Even Audi which is considered to be the ‘premium‘ brand of the four VAG brands (Audi, VW Seat and Skoda) in Europe and the UK are now fitting hard plastic door cards to some of their smaller cars - the A1 and Q2 has them. I don’t think you get either of those Audi models in the US.

Weird how VW gives you guys more power but makes some interior things lower quality. Soft touch materials on the dash etc is something that's pointed out in reviews of the US models so I guess you guys haven't complained about it loudly enough.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
A CC with the MK7 engine would be perfect.

Attachments

• 61C99AAB-AAD4-4FE6-BF49-4E635FD7A445.jpeg
    61C99AAB-AAD4-4FE6-BF49-4E635FD7A445.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 76

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Weird how VW gives you guys more power but makes some interior things lower quality. Soft touch materials on the dash etc is something that's pointed out in reviews of the US models so I guess you guys haven't complained about it loudly enough.

Pretty much all the YouTube reviews of the T-Roc comment on the hard scratchy plastic interior trim on the T-Roc. I suppose at least soft touch plastics have been retained for the mk8 Golf, although that wouldn’t tempt me to buy one as there’s too much about it I don’t like.

8T_BoCO

Passed Driver's Ed
Sadly, nothing VW sends here, the fools ;-)

The Up would be a stellar city car for cramped streets & parking.
We bought the Golf wagons, as we aren't sent the Passat wagon (U.S. plant incomprehensibly never made 4mo wagons, you're welcome Subaru).
The Touran we rented in Europe was super practical for 3 people & lots of luggage, without being too big.
The T6 & lastly the Microbus (I.D. Buzz), which has the best chance of seeing U.S. shores.

Last edited:

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
My '17 SE is now paid off. 55K miles and lots of life left. Still love the car now as much on DAY ONE, but been thinking about something new.

Would consider a new GTI or even an R but not sure Im liking the looks of the next generation. Had three GTI's since '92 and liked the looks of all of them but something isnt jiving.

Liked the ALLTRAK but that's now gone.

Tiguan and Passat don't do it for me (too 'blah" IMO)

Arteon looks cramped. Atlas too big. Atlas Cross Sport looks like, well, an Atlas

The GLI is the only VW model that does anything for me right now.

Maybe my age (50) is playing a part in this, dunno.

Anyone feeling the same way?

Stick with your GTI or upgrade to BMW/Audi. Have you seen the new , no button or knob, controls? I would seriously hate that car. Plus on the GTI's the middle display looks so cheap, like a cheap TV with thick bezels, glossy black. Yuk! Going through menus to adjust A/C and Heat, etc. is horrible.

I have an 18R and no way I am getting rid of it until maybe the ID.4 comes out depending what it looks like. But I think the 7, 7.5 generation is probably one of the last great generations of the Golf.

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I had an Atlas loaner last summer when I was out west and liked it, but it wouldn’t be a GTI replacement. I already have an SUV for winter and hauling duties; it isn’t going anywhere since it’s paid off and reliable.

I do like the looks of the Arteon and the fact that it’s a hatchback but I don’t have a need for that type of car.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
VW-wise? Well, since I'm keeping my 2016, and the GLI is going to the boy next year, nothing in the current range. Do not like what I've seen of the MK8 so far. May wait to see what the Bully/Microbus EV is like before I stick my toe in the water again. Shame, I've been buying VWs for a long time now.

However, I would buy a Golf R wagon in a heartbeat, or a Clubsport/TCR, or even a Polo GTi if only VW would get smart about offering really appealing ROW products here. But I'm probably going to look at other brands now since VW basically shits on the US. Hyundai N stuff is worth a look. And I like their Sante Fe and Tucson way better than a Tiguan for the wife.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So you said Alltracks are gone. That’s just not true. There are plenty new ones leftover on lots around America. I got a 19 SE manual (MSRP 34,500) for 25,500 before TTL with the 6 month deferment and 0% financing 6 years in April. This comes with the people’s warranty.

You already have a GTI, I feel that getting a GLI is a downgrade, or at the very least a completely lateral move that unlocks no additional value over what you currently own. The new GLIs are on the MQB platform, finally, but they’ve got longer wheelbases, and looks are subjective but I think VW could’ve done better with the MQB Jetta. It could’ve looked like a sedan Golf (like the MK5 did, the last Jetta that shared the chassis with the Golf), with good lines and consistent design language. But it doesn’t. It looks like a power ranger. And it has a trunk, not a hatch, so less utility. And it’s also FWD just like your GTI.

It’s also worth mentioning that the Jetta is VW’s bread and butter volume-over-margins vehicle. And the QC/fit and finish is likely to be a bit lower.

Anyway, having personally owned 2 Jettas and 3 GTIs, I strongly suggest considering an Alltrack. My Alltrack is by far the most unique and downright beautiful car I’ve owned, and it’s still MQB with AWD and a manual. I get compliments nearly every time I leave my house. People roll their windows down to talk to me about it at stop lights. It also gets the same gas mileage as my GTIs, on regular fuel.

It doesn’t perform as well from the factory as a GTI or GLI, I will admit. But the utility, style, and other value it provides exceeds the loss in raw performance (in my experience).

I say keep the GTI or get something that’s incrementally different.

v82r4

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in a similar situation. Thinking of trading in my 2017 SE for a 2020 S. I don't like the sunroof on my SE, plus I want to go back to manual. Even though my 2017 is paid off, it's probably a terrible financial decision. I should wait for the MK8 R or maybe an Audi avant, especially if they bring over something more affordable, instead of the RS6.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm in a similar situation. Thinking of trading in my 2017 SE for a 2020 S. I don't like the sunroof on my SE, plus I want to go back to manual. Even though my 2017 is paid off, it's probably a terrible financial decision. I should wait for the MK8 R or maybe an Audi avant, especially if they bring over something more affordable, instead of the RS6.

The deals and the warranties on the 2020’s are not as good as any leftover 2019’s. 2020 S manuals are like 24K. They used to move S models for 20, 21K left and right