GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liking any other VW Models?

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
My '17 SE is now paid off. 55K miles and lots of life left. Still love the car now as much on DAY ONE, but been thinking about something new.

Would consider a new GTI or even an R but not sure Im liking the looks of the next generation. Had three GTI's since '92 and liked the looks of all of them but something isnt jiving.

Liked the ALLTRAK but that's now gone.

Tiguan and Passat don't do it for me (too 'blah" IMO)

Arteon looks cramped. Atlas too big. Atlas Cross Sport looks like, well, an Atlas

The GLI is the only VW model that does anything for me right now.

Maybe my age (50) is playing a part in this, dunno.

Anyone feeling the same way?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There’s not too much in VW’s current model range I like. I’m in the UK so the choices are a little different - especially at the lower end of VW’s range as we have the up! city car (yes, it’s spelled with a lower case ‘u’ and an exclamation mark :)) and the Polo. VW’s range does seem to be dominated by SUV’s at the moment; T-Cross, T-Roc, Tiguan, Touareg.

I‘m considering the Polo GTI like the one in the picture below for my next car as I don’t need anything larger. It’s almost exactly the same size as the mk4 Golf. It’ll probably be the last car I have with a conventional internal combustion engine, with the emphasis for future of motoring in the UK and Europe being very much on electric power, although in the UK the infrastructure isn’t in place to support electric cars just now.

411A0B0A-819B-41DC-A5B3-E7040C1937F5.jpeg

If I was looking for something a little larger, than the Polo, then the Golf should‘ve been an option, but I just can’t bring myself to like the looks of the mk8, nor do I like the button-less dashboard, so it wouldn’t be for me.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Really only the GTI/R for me. Golf alltrack, Tiguan and Atlas look nice but I wouldn't buy one. I really wish we got the concepts that were the Tiguan GTE Active or the Atlas Tanoak pickup. What I really wanted to see is the Arteon Shooting Brake (preferably with an R/R-Line), but they just announced it won't be coming to the states (no surprise there). I guess we're at least getting the RS6 Avant.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
We looked at the Tig before buying our Q5 (realize it's the same company) but it was comically underpowered and slow. If we got the 300hp version that the ROW gets, we'd have been happier with it. Our Q5 is too large, sadly the new Q3 just has the GTI motor with 800 extra pounds, and we aren't getting the RS Q3. An S Q3 would be good, as would a hybrid, the Q5 Hybrid is actually quicker than the SQ5 and cheaper, kind of a win win. I think we'll probably get the eTron GT though, keeping it in the family, but in summary, no, no other VW product does anything for us. Although if the Mk8 R is available with a manual and is a combination of lighter and more capable of rear power bias, I'd be down for a second year one of those.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Arteon is not cramped, front row is not much different from Golf in terms of space, but rear bench has lot of space and trunk is huge (don’t forget it’s technically a hatchback). You can find some ‘19 models for $8-9k off easily. These things are not selling at all so resale will suck, otherwise I do l like Arteon.
If I needed space I’d look into Atlas CrossSport, even though it looks kind of weird from some angles.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
My '17 SE is now paid off. 55K miles and lots of life left. Still love the car now as much on DAY ONE, but been thinking about something new.

Would consider a new GTI or even an R but not sure Im liking the looks of the next generation. Had three GTI's since '92 and liked the looks of all of them but something isnt jiving.

Liked the ALLTRAK but that's now gone.

Tiguan and Passat don't do it for me (too 'blah" IMO)

Arteon looks cramped. Atlas too big. Atlas Cross Sport looks like, well, an Atlas

The GLI is the only VW model that does anything for me right now.

Maybe my age (50) is playing a part in this, dunno.

Anyone feeling the same way?
What does age have to do with it? I am 69 with a 17 GTI Sport and for me it is the last one. Don't care for the looks of the Mk8 GTI as it is starting to look like all other cars. Hate the exhaust outlets and they are probably fake like on most other vehicles these days. The Sport has enough electronic aids, ESC, ABS, and that is it, a really good driver's car. All the upper end GTIs and R have too many BS aids. If you really drive you should not need other aids. I would probably go for a GLI but I still don't like the rear end. Maybe a Tiguan with the R engine, 6 speed, and 4 motion, would be similar to the one I had in Panama except for the engine, it was a blast to drive in the hills, but VW never will here.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Maybe expand to Audi? I like the A4 sized cars, especially the sportback varieties. Wifey has a B9 A4 with a JB1, great family car (y)

Looked at the Arteon but wasn't impressed with the performance to price ratio, and I prefer the 7 speed DSG to the 8 speed auto.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
In current VWoA's lineup, nothing interests me other than GTI and R.

I think you have spent a lot of time with VWs and should try something from the german big three.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The T-ROC R looks good - shame it will never make it to the US.
Agree, it looks OK. I had one to use for a day as a courtesy car earlier this year while my car was being serviced. The interior quality is definitely a step down from the mk7 and mk7.5 Golf though - all the interior plastics are hard and scratchy. It drove and handled OK though.

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
good stuff.

I think Im subconsciously grieving the loss of a large budget "small hot rod" segment. These are still my favorite types of cars. Its kind of depressing now.

80's/90's
GTI's
GLI
Dasher
Eclipse GSX
Probe GT
Omni GLH & S
CRX
Civic Si
Integra
Sentra Se-R

Offerings peaked in the 2000/2010's
GTI's
GLI
Beetle Turbo S
Mazdaspeed 3
Focus ST
Fiesta ST
WRX
Cooper (S/C)
TSX
Civic Si
EVO
Matrix (the 180 HP 6mt version - wife had one it was a cool car)
Sentra SE-R

Today
GTI (still good)
WRX (underneath yes, aesthetics no)
Civic Si (Type R, minus the wing version)
Cooper turbo
Veloster

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Agree, it looks OK. I had one to use for a day as a courtesy car earlier this year while my car was being serviced. The interior quality is definitely a step down from the mk7 and mk7.5 Golf though - all the interior plastics are hard and scratchy. It drove and handled OK though.

Cool - was your loaner the full blown R or the R line?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Cool - was your loaner the full blown R or the R line?
Ha ha, no such luck getting the R. It wasn’t even an R-Line. It was the Design model with a lowly 1.5 150ps (148bhp) engine and 6 speed manual gearbox.