GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liked my GTI over an R. Am I crazy?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you’re looking for a reason to justify the premium the R pulls over the GTI. There isn’t much besides AWD IMO. Which admittedly is huge to some.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
I have a GTI, but the R would be nice if I could justify the additional cost. Either way I’d modify the car, so spending the additional dollars plus mod costs wasn’t worth it to me.

I don’t care about AWD as I have a winter vehicle.

The internals in the R engine are stronger, but I’m happy at my current FBO power level. The additional cost for better engine internals, for slightly more power, wasn’t worth it. I’m happy (for now) at just under 500 whp. Now if I go and upgrade the internals... well I probably should have bought the R.

I do prefer the R interior, and external styling. I suppose It all depends on how much the things “one likes about the R” are worth to them.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
If you’re looking for a reason to justify the premium the R pulls over the GTI. There isn’t much besides AWD IMO. Which admittedly is huge to some.
I live in Chicago and I have driven around in a couple of blizzards just fine in my Gti. Sure its not as good as an AWD would be, but it gets the job done and saved me about 10k off my sticker price.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
You, sir, are describing exactly why people queue up to own Clubsports and TCRs: Golf R power without the additional weight of 4Motion components.
Liking my GTI MK7. Would be perfect with rear wheel drive.
And if VW would bring back the 2 door body.
Never going to happen one can hope though.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
IMO, you're "batshit". I say this if you are just comparing the vehicles and not factoring money. The R has the difference in price in upgrades so for me it is the better value going in, but the difference is not enough for me to take the financial hit of trading in and purchasing. I purchased my MK7 GTI in mid 2014 before the R was available so that is my excuse. I do not delude myself in believing two wheel drive is better than four along with all the other subtle improvements the R offers. Love my GTI, so satisfied with the car.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Decided to test drive a 2018 R today while my car was getting some service. Just came in on trade so tried to get a jump on it. The power was nice FOR SURE but i just couldn't bring myself to want it more than my 17 GTI SE.

I'm trying to understand from that statement why you conclude that you prefer your GTI over the R? And however you got there - no, you're not crazy.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
When I was shopping lightly used cars it was either ~20k for a gti or ~28k for the r. I drove both.

Where I live it doesn't snow, and it rarely even rains. AWD not needed. Plus as noted, the R awd system is not nearly as good as other types. I couldn't justify the extra 8g.

I've done about 4k± worth of upgrades at this point. If I go is38 I will then be in the neighborhood of having spent the same as if I'd bought (and stayed) with a stock R instead.

No regerts.

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
I loved my Autobahn GTI. I’d have to say my 19R is everything the GTI was, just more of it. I think AWD earns it cost every time I launch hard from a stop, it’s awesome having that traction. The digital dash makes the car feel more modern too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I loved my Autobahn GTI. I’d have to say my 19R is everything the GTI was, just more of it. I think AWD earns it cost every time I launch hard from a stop, it’s awesome having that traction. The digital dash makes the car feel more modern too.

You can swap in the digital dash.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Call me stingy, but the digital dash was a big no-no for me. I like the analog gauges. Plus I also like a manual handbrake.