GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liked my GTI over an R. Am I crazy?

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Decided to test drive a 2018 R today while my car was getting some service. Just came in on trade so tried to get a jump on it. The power was nice FOR SURE but i just couldn't bring myself to want it more than my 17 GTI SE. Has anyone else came to this conclusion or am I just batshit?

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
Really the only thing an R has over the GTI is the Haldex 4wd. A GTI with a tune is very close power wise if not more. Having quattro Audis all my life, I DO miss the assurance of 4wd. Even if it's the Haldex version. I'll eventually pick up an R. But I love my GTI.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
If you're looking for confirmation for your GTi I'm sure you'll get plenty. Especially on the GTi forum. ;>)

Just different strokes. I own and love my R on track and as a DD. It's my favorite VW, but I totally get you preferring your GTi, a Miata, Porsche, vintage car, muscle, or whatever. We love Golfs, others wouldn't go near AWS or FWD.

It's as simple as different people prefer different cars.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I respect the R for what it is, and it is an awesome car. But I think more people would agree that the Gti is a better deal for the money though.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
17 GTI is probably almost paid off.

18 R is probably still $35K so I would guess you'd be looking at a ~$500 monthly payment until 2025.

Not super appealing unless you have money to burn. Easy to justify staying where you're at.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
R is a great vehicle and no second thoughts.

GTI is nimble and easy to throw around. Both times when i bought my GTIs, i could not justify the premium for a R. I am very happy with my second GTI and i dont have an itch to get a R anytime in the future.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
17 GTI Sport here and I would not trade it for an R or take a R if given to me! Okay but way to many farkles on it. The R is the luxury GTI I guess

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Now, this could be the one that I test drove being beat to shit but I just felt like shifting was super numb and not notchy at all with the shifter and I like the way the power hits in the GTI more.
Thanks everyone for the confirmation. I walked away shaking my head thinking 2020 had really just made me insane haha

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
You, sir, are describing exactly why people queue up to own Clubsports and TCRs: Golf R power without the additional weight of 4Motion components.