Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
More aluminium used in the wheel. Thick spokes and hub area.
Oh, I get how it happens, just more curious why the Q5 has a forged wheel available and why it's as heavy as a cast wheel? In the days of VW Group cutting costs on nearly everything, the existence of a small forged wheel for a cute ute with little to no offroad pretensions is just a little confusing. Next you'll tell me the Up has a forged wheel option.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Oh, I get how it happens, just more curious why the Q5 has a forged wheel available and why it's as heavy as a cast wheel? In the days of VW Group cutting costs on nearly everything, the existence of a small forged wheel for a cute ute with little to no offroad pretensions is just a little confusing. Next you'll tell me the Up has a forged wheel option.
Agreed, I was a bit surprised to come across them. The roads around here are the worst I've ever seen and it's a nice peace of mind to have a set of wheels that *shouldn't* bend or crack due to massive potholes.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Agreed, I was a bit surprised to come across them. The roads around here are the worst I've ever seen and it's a nice peace of mind to have a set of wheels that *shouldn't* bend or crack due to massive potholes.
I admit to liking the design, would be a nice "beater" wheel.

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
Superspeed RF03RR wheels 18x8.5 et45 are about 18.2lb when I weighed them. Saved 8.8 lb per corner once mounted with 235/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact summer tires vs stock wheel/tire setup.

Attachments

• 88D11D27-1EDE-4963-AEB3-BE3E6B10166D.jpeg
    88D11D27-1EDE-4963-AEB3-BE3E6B10166D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 475

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I never weighed the stock 18" Prets and stock tires, but I'd guess that my 17 x 8.5 RSe16's and 255 40 17 V730's are heavier. I don't really care, more grip is more better.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
I never weighed the stock 18" Prets and stock tires, but I'd guess that my 17 x 8.5 RSe16's and 255 40 17 V730's are heavier. I don't really care, more grip is more better.

Been about 2.5years since I got them, but I have RSe16 with 255/40R17 and if I remember right, the wheel/tire combo was two pounds lighter than the stock pretoria with tire.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Been about 2.5years since I got them, but I have RSe16 with 255/40R17 and if I remember right, the wheel/tire combo was two pounds lighter than the stock pretoria with tire.
I would have thought the combo was heavier. Cool.