GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
I'm a sucker for OE stuff, what's the Lightest OE (VAG) 17" Wheel? I know the one's I've got are like 22lbs each.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm a sucker for OE stuff, what's the Lightest OE (VAG) 17" Wheel? I know the one's I've got are like 22lbs each.
For 18's it's likely the forged Belvederes that were on the 21 AB which are listed as 16.7#. I'm not sure about 17's, but surely they've offered a forged wheel or two? I'd imagine you'll still be limited in width, the Belvederes are still the same, skinny 7.5" width of every other GTI wheel.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Apex are 8.5" or wider. VMR is 18" or bigger. Titan 7 is 18" or bigger, 8.5" wide, and over $500 ea.
Try superspeed RF06RRs, they should have a 17x8. But you do need conical lug bolts

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I don't hate those Q5 wheels and they almost seem like they'd fit pretty nicely at a glance...

Attachments

• 20200424_151509.jpg
    20200424_151509.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 165

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Thanks, Manu97 & Mal! The Koya's and Superspeeds are good-looking and reasonably priced, especially the Superspeeds.

One thing I don't like about my Neuspeed RSe16s is they have more nooks and crannies than an English muffin! I don't get any joy out of cleaning the car (I like it being clean, just don't like doing it) and getting the Neuspeeds looking decent is very demanding. Getting a set of RSe05s is an option, but so are both of these. Thanks!

CW_R32

Even on my 8.5" rims the 245/40r18 ( 98mm side wall )has more movement on the rim on turn in than the 235/35r19 ( 82mm side wall ) ,but on some local B grade twisty roads I've noticed the 245/40 seems to keep more contact on the road compared to the 235/35 which felt like it was skipping sideways more . Either way I need to get more k's up on the twisty's .
A 245/40r18 on a 9" rim is probably the best option ?

Cheers
How many miles on your PS4S? Michelins seem extra squirmy the first 500 miles or so. I always feel like I made the wrong choice until they get worn in and then they feel good.
Yeah bentin, that was >90% of what I was noticing and attributing to tire sidewall spread. It was just that the tires were not scrubbed in yet. Now that I have about 500mi on them, they stick like glue. The 245/40-18 on 8" wheel definitely does lose just a tick of initial precision over the stock 235/35-19, only noticeable in like a tight round-about that you are going straight through where you are right/left/right very quickly, overall grip is better, especially on real roads with irregular surface. In addition to more rubber on the road, its doing a better job of micro suspension (conforming to road surface) to not get upset. Its a street car, so that tiny bit of precision lost is negligible.

The ride is so much better with more air volume in tire. Even though on paper is is just a bit more sidewall, and a bit more width, the tire casing at tread is at least 20mm thick(at least new), so instead of 82mm to 98mm, its more like 62mm to 78mm (roughly, just to illustrate % increased air volume is greater)... and sidewalls are at least 10mm thick each so its more like going from 215 to 225 internally. Point is if you think about the inside volume increase its bigger than you would initially consider based on external size delta, which explains at least to me, why the ride improvement is more than 20% better, it feels >40% better.

I keep the suspension in sport settings now even over rough roads. How much of that is just 235/35-19 vs 245/40-18 on 8" wheel, and how much of that is Conti 5SP vs Mich PS4, I don't know. But I am very happy with the result.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nice to hear, I am planning on doing either 17s or 18s on the Mk8 R if they can ever get one all the way across the Atlantic. Good news is that PS5s may be sorted by then.

perryis5150

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
There is a set of Enkei Fujin for sale locally for cheap. Are these any good? I'm looking for a set of summer wheels on my Alltrack.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion