GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes my bad. I meant rings. 😱

But I could have also sworn that you ALSO had to get spacers, because your new wheels fit the PP brakes when you bought the wheels, but not after you put new pads in the calipers. Was that you, or am I thinking of someone else?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
But I could have also sworn that you ALSO had to get spacers, because your new wheels fit the PP brakes when you bought the wheels, but not after you put new pads in the calipers. Was that you, or am I thinking of someone else?

I did have to use spacers also. 12mm front and 15mm rear. Maybe 1 lb total weight for the 4 of them. Didn't need them in the rear like I did the fronts but wanted to make the wheels flush with the fenders.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did. Right after I posted mine.... :)

You and GTI have this on again, off again feud where it often boils down to semantics.

Jim tries to be evasive, because he knows I have a point, so he beats around the bush.

I believe that he's also running aluminum spacers, his plastic hub rings, extended bolts, a slightly heavier tire, and it's rare that manufacturers claimed weights for anything are accurate, so while he has reduced his rotating mass, it's less than he thinks,
and it's mostly near the axis, which will reduce the benefits.

He's also still on stock width AS tires, which is not at all what I was talking about. I was talking about a true performance upgrade, with wider wheels, wider tires and a real performance tire. It will be tough to end up with a real rolling stock upgrade that weighs significantly less than stock.

And no one is aggressively launching a 400whp GTI on 225 AS tires. I have 2 sets of 245 RE71R's mounted on RSE16'S and a set of 225 FK510's on a set of 7.5" wide Runlites. I have likely 280ish whp and the FK510's can't put it down. The 245 RE71R'S on 8.5" wide wheels will hold fine if launch at conservatives rpms, but barely.

At the end of the day, there's no free lunch. More grip and stiffer sidewalls add weight at the farthest point from the axis. Light rotor and wheels reduce weight close to the axis.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Jim tries to be evasive, because he knows I have a point, so he beats around the bush.

I believe that he's also running aluminum spacers, his plastic hub rings, extended bolts, a slightly heavier tire, and it's rare that manufacturers claimed weights for anything are accurate, so while he has reduced his rotating mass, it's less than he thinks,
and it's mostly near the axis, which will reduce the benefits.

He's also still on stock width AS tires, which is not at all what I was talking about. I was talking about a true performance upgrade, with wider wheels, wider tires and a real performance tire. It will be tough to end up with a real rolling stock upgrade that weighs significantly less than stock.

And no one is aggressively launching a 400whp GTI on 225 AS tires. I have 2 sets of 245 RE71R's mounted on RSE16'S and a set of 225 FK510's on a set of 7.5" wide Runlites. I have likely 280ish whp and the FK510's can't put it down. The 245 RE71R'S on 8.5" wide wheels will hold fine if launch at conservatives rpms, but barely.

At the end of the day, there's no free lunch. More grip and stiffer sidewalls add weight at the farthest point from the axis. Light rotor and wheels reduce weight close to the axis.

I do not try to be evasive.
Cut the shit. I said that I misspoke and said spacers when I meant rings. I posted that.

You are launching a manual trans. There's a big difference in launching a manual trans verses a DSG. I also told you that I have a bog when launching that keeps it from spinning plus I have the electronically locking diff. The way mine bogs off the line you would jump me at the launch. Of course I would quickly catch up just because of more power. I also told you that I have rarely launched it because I don't want to risk damage.
I don't care about the weight.

When I changed my OEM wheels from 18" to 17" it wasn't to save weight. I did it to make tires less expensive since I go through 2 sets a year. The weight savings was a bonus. And when I needed new front rotors I did choose the 2 piece rotors to save weight because why not.

All I originally said was that I cut about 15 lbs per corner period. No motive behind it. Then you started to dissect that comment. It was a simple statement that needed no comment.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I do not try to be evasive.
Cut the shit. I said that I misspoke and said spacers when I meant rings. I posted that.

You are launching a manual trans. There's a big difference in launching a manual trans verses a DSG. I also told you that I have a bog when launching that keeps it from spinning plus I have the electronically locking diff. The way mine bogs off the line you would jump me at the launch. Of course I would quickly catch up just because of more power. I also told you that I have rarely launched it because I don't want to risk damage.
I don't care about the weight.

When I changed my OEM wheels from 18" to 17" it wasn't to save weight. I did it to make tires less expensive since I go through 2 sets a year. The weight savings was a bonus. And when I needed new front rotors I did choose the 2 piece rotors to save weight because why not.

All I originally said was that I cut about 15 lbs per corner period. No motive behind it. Then you started to dissect that comment. It was a simple statement that needed no comment.

That doesn't add up, because you're using both hub rings and spacers.

You didn't cut 15lbs a corner.

DSG doesn't magically make 225 AS tires have more traction.

Sorry, that's just the reality, cutting the shit, as you said.

cb1111

Guys, let's be nice. You are both respected members of the community, but this is starting to sound like the first Trump/Biden debate.

This is the problem when you start discussing hypotheticals that morph into a "let me give you an example from my car..." and that never goes well. We all know that every member here is the best driver, has the fastest car, got the best deal and does engine rebuilds in his spare time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That doesn't add up, because you're using both hub rings and spacers.

You didn't cut 15lbs a corner.

DSG doesn't magically make 225 AS tires have more traction.

Sorry, that's just the reality, cutting the shit, as you said.

I honestly don't give a shit. I'm not arguing and trying to prove anything. Why the hell would I lie about the traction my car has? Like I said I didn't do it to reduce weight. It was a side benefit.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I honestly don't give a shit. I'm not arguing and trying to prove anything. Why the hell would I lie about the traction my car has? Like I said I didn't do it to reduce weight. It was a side benefit.

If you enjoy your car, that's all the matters. Have a good night.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Not the worst looking wheel, but on the wrong continent....
The set I purchased came to about $100 USD per wheel. Not bad for a forged 17" wheel.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Yea. I think at this point I’m going to wait for the Apex wheels. Excited for those.
Definitely curious to see the price / weight. For me, its either those or Forgestar F14. I believe those run ~17lbs for the 17x9

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
Just a heads up...it appears Avanti Storm 17x9 ET35 5x112 are available again. Killer price. Fitment could be tricky though.
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/buy-wheel-offset/SM7951235S/advanti-racing-storm-s1-17x9-35?

i'm running these. wrapped them in a 255/40/17 nitto nt05. 5mm spacers front and rear. i did cut the inside rear tire liner. on emd springs with 034 motorsports camber plates. thats about to change soon. i'll very likely be pulling the trigger on a set of ORT (open road tuning) coilovers. fitment is pretty straight forward. you will need the camber up front if you plan on running meatier tires.