GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I am getting some rubbing on medium bumps.
I have Dinan coilovers and 034 dynamic camber mounts.

I plan on raising it half an inch in the front. Maybe a quarter in the rear. Could possibly just do fender screw mod.

Wheel feels so light after the 26 lb wheels with 245/40 tire. The 265's have a shorter sidewall, so although I haven't driven aggressively yet, it feels much easier to turn and much sharper.

I like a meatier tire for more rim protection from both curbing and potholes. If I could, I would have gone 275/35 which is almost exact same sidewall height as the 245/40. But regardless of the fact that it just won't fit, glad I went 265 for the shorter sidewall and improved response.

Crazy how things just spin out of control.
Original intent was just to get wheels that would fit the Stoptech 355mm kit. Didn't want spacers because ocd reasons.
8.5" with 245 would have worked, but damn, reading about and seeing Mk7's with 9" and 265 made me salivate. Was going to get new setup anyways, had to just go for it. Figured with increased camber, should be fine.

Unfortunately, getting 18x9 in a lightweight wheel is very slim pickins. Pretty much just Rse11R, Rennform or Freeform. Didn't like the Freeform bronze and silver. Neuspeed were $390 per. So only 1 option left.
$20 you'll have bacon fenders soon

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
$20 you'll have bacon fenders soon
Not sure what that is, but if it's what I'm thinking, you're probably right :D

Not bad, BUT how much do the tires weigh and/or the wheel/tire setup now?

Per tire rack, 245/40 and 265/35 are both 25lbs. Not sure how accurate that is, but figure additional sidewall vs width = same weight.
The wheels are 18.9lbs per Konig as opposed to 26lbs, for my Audi wheels.

So figure this setup is about 7lbs less. When I get one off, I'll weigh it.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
This all falls under the "different goals and needs for different folks" category, and there's nothing wrong with that.

You want more sidewall, you might add some weight over a tire that technically fits and works correctly but you'll deal with that because that's your goal.

If you wanted a no compromise lightweight (overall) setup then yeah, a 235/40 tire, or a 17" wheel (I know, BBK) could have lost you another couple pounds. I wouldn't even use the word compromise, you just gotta be happy with the end result.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
There definitely is a slight stretch. 235 on a 9" wheel is definitely a little stretched. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

He's probably poking fun at people that scream and run from any form of stretch because they have in their heads that it's dangerous. We're not popping a 215/45 on a 10.5" wheel here. A 235/40 on a 9" is completely within manufacturer recommendations, but visually anything less than square is not for a lot of people. That's just fine haha.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
He's probably poking fun at people that scream and run from any form of stretch because they have in their heads that it's dangerous. We're not popping a 215/45 on a 10.5" wheel here. A 235/40 on a 9" is completely within manufacturer recommendations, but visually anything less than square is not for a lot of people. That's just fine haha.

Definitely, I'm not saying it's unsafe or anything, but visually it's not for me.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
yeah it's all within limits. My personal rule is that if i let the wheel/tire fall on its face in the garage and the rim is in danger of getting scratched, there's too much stretch. I toss wheels/tires around at home and at the track way too much to ever be worried about damaging a rim in transport or when one rolls away in paddock.

All of this is relative to the tire...Some tires have great rim protection (like bridgestones) and some don't. 235 yoko on a 9" rim leaves the entire rim edge poking out, lol.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Wait a minute, I been limiting myself to nothing wider than 8.5, how does a 9 work? The specs I researched on here for no rub being lowered on springs:

19x8.5 et42 front 245 tire (front)
19x8.5 et35 rear 245 tire as well

Also found a 18x8 et35 fits with 225 wide tire. I tried that originally with my first set wheels, which were stolen. Insurance replaced and I went with a 18x8.5 et 45, 225 tire. I still have gap and can't stand it. About to get some BBS wheels (or some 57CR's I found at a crazy low price) and would really like to be flush without using spacers.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Wait a minute, I been limiting myself to nothing wider than 8.5, how does a 9 work? The specs I researched on here for no rub being lowered on springs:

19x8.5 et42 front 245 tire (front)
19x8.5 et35 rear 245 tire as well

Also found a 18x8 et35 fits with 225 wide tire. I tried that originally with my first set wheels, which were stolen. Insurance replaced and I went with a 18x8.5 et 45, 225 tire. I still have gap and can't stand it. About to get some BBS wheels (or some 57CR's I found at a crazy low price) and would really like to be flush without using spacers.

Not sure where those limits are coming from, and i can't speak to a 19" wheel, but 9" wide is not an issue for me. 17x9 et45 clears just fine. The tire fitment is where you can go crazy. My 245/40/17 tires were 8.8" wide and fit fine. There was still room for more tire in that type to get to about 9.3 or 9.4" wide max before rubbing on the strut (meaning a 255 DZ3 will work). My 235 Yoko are the same size as my 245 Direzza were though, so I think the max yoko size will be 245. I'm also running -2.2 and -2.5 camber

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I don't even know what my camber is, been trying to get it on an alignment rack, but 4 shops so far and none of them were low enough to get my car on it. This baffles me as I am only on springs. I need it checked so I am going to road trip this weekend until I find a place that can get it on there. I hear the front is not adjustable? So it's factory plus the 1.5 drop. Looks like about a 1/2 to 1 in the front, and rear is more by a good bit.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If you need perspective on the difference between any two wheel fits, this site should be burnt into everyone's brains by now:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
I use this for wheels only, but I'll still put in the correct tire size. It tries to show a tire profile but since brands vary so much in section width and rim protector designs, it's not as helpful there.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I don't even know what my camber is, been trying to get it on an alignment rack, but 4 shops so far and none of them were low enough to get my car on it. This baffles me as I am only on springs. I need it checked so I am going to road trip this weekend until I find a place that can get it on there. I hear the front is not adjustable? So it's factory plus the 1.5 drop. Looks like about a 1/2 to 1 in the front, and rear is more by a good bit.

My technique has been to check which shops use procut lathes, and then call them up to see if they can do the alignment. Theory is, the procut lathe isn't cheap, and if a shop has invested into one, they've likely also invested into the better alignment racks already. It's also good to get to know the people at local service shops, because using them frequently and being friendly leads to them shaving off little costs here and there (like I pay 80$ for tire mount/balance regardless of my tire size and 105$ for alignment regardless of time it takes them to dial in my exact spec).

If you need perspective on the difference between any two wheel fits, this site should be burnt into everyone's brains by now:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
I use this for wheels only, but I'll still put in the correct tire size. It tries to show a tire profile but since brands vary so much in section width and rim protector designs, it's not as helpful there.

Right on all accounts! That site is fantastic.
I don't think most people realize how much sizes actually vary between brands and tire types! Good thing tire rack has that tread width measurement to try to keep a somewhat relevant measure.

Aristocrat Autosport

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor

For those of you that were interested in the 5x112 TC-105X, the wheels will be landing next week. Please DM me or shoot me an email for more information.