GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

theBrandler

Ready to race!
I know 45mm offset is what everyone says to shoot for, but some wheels come in 50mm, 48mm, all the way down to 40mm and Tirerack says they all fit my GTI.

On 7.5" or 8" wide rims, are there any offsets I really need to avoid on stock suspension? Shifting the tire 5mm one way or the other doesn't seem like a very big deal to me, but I say that out of ignorance.

Oh, and aren't' the stock wheels a 49mm offset?

am215

Ready to race!
I have 18x8 +35 for my summer wheels and that's probably the lowest offset you will want to run with a 225/40 tire. I'm lowered on VWR springs and don't have any rubbing issues after the fender screw mod.

at 8" width you can run anything from 35 to 50 offset if you're keeping the stock tire size. if you want to upsize to a 235/40 tire then keep the offset above 40

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I know 45mm offset is what everyone says to shoot for, but some wheels come in 50mm, 48mm, all the way down to 40mm and Tirerack says they all fit my GTI.

On 7.5" or 8" wide rims, are there any offsets I really need to avoid on stock suspension? Shifting the tire 5mm one way or the other doesn't seem like a very big deal to me, but I say that out of ignorance.

Oh, and aren't' the stock wheels a 49mm offset?

you can use willtheyfit to get a good visualization of how offset and size affect sizing.

Generally speaking, lower offset means the wheel will come outwards more, but doing so reduces steering feel and increases effort for the tire to turn. For street use, you'll likely never notice, but for track, race, or heavy performance uses you want offset to stay closer to stock. I would run +45 or above in an 8" wheel.

Edit: I run a +48 on a 17x8, but I'm trying to find a 17x9 +42. These two sizes have the inner portions of the rim and tire sidewall in a similar place, to avoid rubbing on the strut assembly...It just means fender clearance is tougher.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
There are so many factors that influence tire performance, and you have to decide what's important to you. Without getting too technical, in general a shorter sidewall and smaller diameter tire allows for more torque and less "squirm" under steering input. This is only true when comparing the same tire in different sizes, not for different tires across different sizes. Ex: my 235/45/17 yoko a052 are taller than my 245/40/17 but have much stiffer sidewalls and are the same measured width. They're not directly comparable across sizes.

Every "size" of tire is spec'd for an ideal width rim. A 235 is usually ideal on an 8" Rim and a 225 on a 7.5". Those tires will work fine in either size on an 8" Rim. Question is, do you want more sidewall and a taller tire or do you want more stiffness and stretch. Keep in mind some tires, like a lot of conti, tend to have less rim lip protection, so a wider tire might be more useful there.

Okay great explanation! I think I would prefer a shorter sidewall. Do the PS3 Plus tires offer better protection than Continental? I had been leaning towards the Extreme Contact DWS due to the lower weight.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
For anyone interested Titan-7 still has T-R10 in stock with 57.1mm center bore.

The next batch of all VW fitment wheels arriving in June will be 66.6mm and will require hub rings.

The resale value of my T-S5's just went up :D

Ha we'll see. I'll probably be switching wheels again. I have a set of TE037 6160 on order. According to the US Dist it will be the lightest wheel in the line up. When it comes in I'll figure out if I'm going to sell or keep it. I'll get the weight first. It's an 18x8.5 +45....or maybe order an 18x9 +46 we'll see.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Okay great explanation! I think I would prefer a shorter sidewall. Do the PS3 Plus tires offer better protection than Continental? I had been leaning towards the Extreme Contact DWS due to the lower weight.

I'm not 100% sure. I've driven on the michelins once but didn't see the sidewall or what size the edge lip was. I've got the general gmax as05 (same rubber, but different mold as the dws I've been told...) and they have almost no lip protection in a 225/40 on the stock rim.

Maybe someone with the michelins can chime in.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
I just put 225/50/17 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my wife's Alltrack on a 7.5" wheel, and there is quite a bit of wheel protection. The spokes stick out ever so slightly (Sparco Podio), but a 2x4 set across the top of the tire sidewalls didn't touch the spokes.

If you're planning on using the stock size on a 8" wheel, I doubt there will be much sidewall sticking out with the A/S 3+, you'll probably want to go up to a 235. And FWIW I think the Conti's have less sidewall protection vs Michelins (I'm about to mount up 235/45/17 Conti Extreme Contact Sport on 8" wheels for my GTI and the Conti sidewalls look very square).

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I just put 225/50/17 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my wife's Alltrack on a 7.5" wheel, and there is quite a bit of wheel protection. The spokes stick out ever so slightly (Sparco Podio), but a 2x4 set across the top of the tire sidewalls didn't touch the spokes.

If you're planning on using the stock size on a 8" wheel, I doubt there will be much sidewall sticking out with the A/S 3+, you'll probably want to go up to a 235. And FWIW I think the Conti's have less sidewall protection vs Michelins (I'm about to mount up 235/45/17 Conti Extreme Contact Sport on 8" wheels for my GTI and the Conti sidewalls look very square).

This sounds like exactly what I expected. Every Conti I've seen or had has had 0 lip protection (including my generals). If I just think of parallel parking right on the curb, the wheels scratch...

And If you don't want the taller sidewall, you can run a 245/40/17 on an 8" rim. It's technically the top end of what Michelin recommends for width for an 8" wheel on those tires, but it will give the most rubber and lip protection. I ran a Direzza Z3 in that size, and I love it. DZ3 = 8.8" wide and MPS A/S 3+ = 8.4" wide in the same 245/40 size

Edit: Here's what a 245/40/17 looks like on my 17x8 Ultralegerra. DZ3 = 8.8" wide and MPS A/S 3+ = 8.4" wide in the same 245/40 size

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Here are some shots of 235/45/17 MP4S on a 8" wide wheel. Pretty decent lip protection.

https://imgur.com/a/Ss3wnkl

Scala

Ready to race!
..... I'm trying to find a 17x9 +42......

Why the 42ET? I guess you are lowered and want to stay clear of the lower spring retainer.

I've done all the scrub radius/contact patch calculations and I've decided on a 17X9 with an ET of minimum 45/better more but I am at stock height.

Anyway, if you find that rare 17X9 please be so kind and let us know.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Why the 42ET? I guess you are lowered and want to stay clear of the lower spring retainer.

I've done all the scrub radius/contact patch calculations and I've decided on a 17X9 with an ET of minimum 45/better more but I am at stock height.

I ran into a 17x9 +40 advanti wheel the other day. Not sure which model, but I need to track it down again... 40 seems a bit low, but I haven't measured it out to see. I'm a bit lower, but my goal is actually to go a bit higher and to - 2.7 camber in the front.

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
Konig Interforms

My summer's are Konig Interforms... might be many pages back... 18 x 8 offset of 42 and flow formed. They list a weight of 19lbs but when I weighted them on a UPS scale, they were 18.55lbs each. Hubs are 73.1 so I run Black Forest Ind aluminum centering rings which have been good. Picture is with stock crappy tires, 8mm spacers in front and 12mm spacers in back. Those tires are going away soon... can't believe we got a few inches of snow today!

One trick for others out there with problem hub adapters is cheap o-rings from big box home improvement stores - thin rings slightly smaller diameter than the OD of your adapters. Put the o-ring (and just a touch of say dilectric grease on it) on the outside of the centering ring and snug it down. When you put the wheel on, slowly snug your lugs up until they are ready for torquing. The o-ring will take play out and help center them.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Found them...17x9 +45 advanti racing storm in black (I can't find the same size in silver): https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/adva...matte-black-5x112-45mm-offset-79B-SM79512455/

These could do...I wonder if they'd fit the PP calipers, or possibly other 17" fitting 4- or 6- pot calipers...