GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This may sound weird, but whether I had -0.8 front camber in GS or -2.5 in STH setup, -1.8 to -2 in the rear seems to be what the car wants.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
255/35/19 on 19x8.5 et 45 on stock height and suspension. can it work without rubbing? fender screw mod only necessary?

im on 245/40/18 18x8.5 et 45 right now with no rubbing at all. i want to go wider and bigger but i dont want to modify the car or its ride height and have no plans to do so.

obviously i dont care about my speedometer being off.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It might poke a little without some negative camber though.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
like I said right now I have 245/40/18 on an 18x8.5 wheel on stock suspension and it looks and performs beautifully. If I could get a similar set up but increase the size of the wheel my logic is that if I go to a larger wheel, 1 inch but the wheel width and offset remains the same, then I can play with the tire selection and even though 255 is the widest recommended size for an 8.5 rim, I am yes of course getting a wider tire but reducing the size of the sidewall at the same time by going from a 40 to a 35.... I figured this would but the equivalent of having a 245/40/18 but I realize I am probably pushing it too far but that's exactly what I am trying to do... push it as far as I can without ruining my car or rubbing on anything. I really don't give a shit about the speedometer being off. I want to fill up the wheel gap with as much tire and wheel as possible while also looking as wide as possible from the back.

I have a feeling 255/35/19 would be absolutely fine and look more stretched than my current set up and probably ride similarly.... but I just wanted to see if anyone had any input other than telling me I have no idea how tire sizes work

19"... more expensive tires, more expensive rims.... I want to protect them from the nj roads, too, with a fat tire even though I know its probably inevitable the bad roads will damage either the rim tire or both, that's why this is a Summer set up idea. I personally love the fat tire look in every way so I don't mind my summer and winter setups both being fat.

I know the smartest thing to do would be run a 17x8 16 lb. wheel with 235/45/17 tires for maximum acceleration and oem+ / performance oriented type set up but that's not what I want for my car right now. I want to be the best looking car on the road.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
like I said right now I have 245/40/18 on an 18x8.5 wheel on stock suspension and it looks and performs beautifully. If I could get a similar set up but increase the size of the wheel my logic is that if I go to a larger wheel, 1 inch but the wheel width and offset remains the same, then I can play with the tire selection and even though 255 is the widest recommended size for an 8.5 rim, I am yes of course getting a wider tire but reducing the size of the sidewall at the same time by going from a 40 to a 35.... I figured this would but the equivalent of having a 245/40/18 but I realize I am probably pushing it too far but that's exactly what I am trying to do... push it as far as I can without ruining my car or rubbing on anything. I really don't give a shit about the speedometer being off. I want to fill up the wheel gap with as much tire and wheel as possible while also looking as wide as possible from the back.

I have a feeling 255/35/19 would be absolutely fine and look more stretched than my current set up and probably ride similarly.... but I just wanted to see if anyone had any input other than telling me I have no idea how tire sizes work

19"... more expensive tires, more expensive rims.... I want to protect them from the nj roads, too, with a fat tire even though I know its impossible. I personally love the fat tire look in every way.

I know the smartest thing to do would be run a 17" 16 pound wheel with 235/45/17 tires for maximum acceleration and oem+ type set up but that's not what I want for my car right now. I want to be the best looking car on the road.

If you have a GTI, 255s will be a tight fit in the rear wheel wells. Golf Rs have more room.
I run 245/40/18 on 18x8, 45 ET wheels with 7mm spacers. The inner sidewalls were rubbing the fuel filler tube without the spacers.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
are you lowered though? I'm not.

But If I have to run a 10 mm spacer in the rear just to get the look I want I’ll consider that a non issue but I doubt I’ll need it as long as I choose the tire correctly based on its dimensions

Last edited: