GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Motegi’s should clear PP brakes, and if you are thinking about autocross/tracking it is always better to run a wider wheel.
Currently debating between the Fast FC04 in 18x8 +40, or the Motegi MR146 SS05 in 18x8.5 +42. They're within 4mm of each other for poke, 1lb for weight, and the plan is to run 235/40/18 Firehawk Indy 500's. Intending to drop on H&R OE Sport springs in order to minimize rub, but that 4mm difference is leaning me towards the FC04s as there's currently little reference photos of the SS05's with PP brakes. This might be important in autocross applications unless the fender screw mod is a necessity.

Anyone have feedback on either wheel in a hard driving setting? I'm currently going through the thread backwards.

I love mine!

Attachments

• 079A01E2-6EEB-415D-ACCE-8B87671E17E9.jpeg
    079A01E2-6EEB-415D-ACCE-8B87671E17E9.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 357

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I know this wheel has come up before but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I've done an exhaustive search on wheels and am just going to pick one.

Going with the Motegi MR146 in Satin Black (on a white mk7.5) in either 17x8.5 or 18x8.5 in a 42mm offset. Slight weight difference between the two but both are significantly lighter than stock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with that width and offset the front should be pretty flush and the back would only need a 3-5mm spacer, correct? Stock height for now but I will be dropping it 1-1.5" soon. I know with camber I could tuck it a little if need be but this is a daily so I can't camber the shit out of it.

Follow up question would be tires. With the 18s I'd probably try to stick with a 225/40/18 but with the 17s I'd want to take up some of the extra fender gap and go for a meatier look. Would 235/50/17 make sense in that case?

Thanks for the assist!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I know this wheel has come up before but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I've done an exhaustive search on wheels and am just going to pick one.

Going with the Motegi MR146 in Satin Black (on a white mk7.5) in either 17x8.5 or 18x8.5 in a 42mm offset. Slight weight difference between the two but both are significantly lighter than stock.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with that width and offset the front should be pretty flush and the back would only need a 3-5mm spacer, correct? Stock height for now but I will be dropping it 1-1.5" soon. I know with camber I could tuck it a little if need be but this is a daily so I can't camber the shit out of it.

Follow up question would be tires. With the 18s I'd probably try to stick with a 225/40/18 but with the 17s I'd want to take up some of the extra fender gap and go for a meatier look. Would 235/50/17 make sense in that case?

Thanks for the assist!
I have these on my car in 17x8.5. They're pretty flush, I wouldn't bother with a spacer in the rear TBH. I run 245/40-17 which is slightly shorter than the stock 225/40-18. I'd probably try and run a 235/45-17 if you want slightly larger than OEM tire diameter. 235/50 is a lot of sidewall, that tire is over an inch larger in OD than stock, and you could run into issues with that once you lower.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I have these on my car in 17x8.5. They're pretty flush, I wouldn't bother with a spacer in the rear TBH. I run 245/40-17 which is slightly shorter than the stock 225/40-18. I'd probably try and run a 235/45-17 if you want slightly larger than OEM tire diameter. 235/50 is a lot of sidewall, that tire is over an inch larger in OD than stock, and you could run into issues with that once you lower.

Right on. I can get these wheels and Conti Extreme Contacts in 235/45-17 for $1,100 which seems like a steal for a sub 40lb set up

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Right on. I can get these wheels and Conti Extreme Contacts in 235/45-17 for $1,100 which seems like a steal for a sub 40lb set up
Where ever you get them from just make sure you get the "tuner style" lugs. Even though TireRack acknowledged these needed special lugs, it took some back and forth to actually get them.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Where ever you get them from just make sure you get the "tuner style" lugs. Even though TireRack acknowledged these needed special lugs, it took some back and forth to actually get them.

I'm close enough to tire rack to pick up (it saves me $150) so I assume I can check while I'm there and get it sorted out if they are wrong. Tuner lugs are the conical shape? I'm not up to speed on the different lug nut styles and the size / thread pitch for our cars.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm close enough to tire rack to pick up (it saves me $150) so I assume I can check while I'm there and get it sorted out if they are wrong. Tuner lugs are the conical shape? I'm not up to speed on the different lug nut styles and the size / thread pitch for our cars.
I live 10 minutes from a warehouse and it was still a pain haha. Tuner style lugs have a smaller diameter bolt head to fit inside the counterbore of the wheel. The ones I got from TireRack look like these ones here, with a sort of 12pt internal key. It allows the tool to be smaller to fit inside the wheel

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
New Satin Bronze RSe10's: 18x8 with 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. These replaced by AS3+'s so curious to see how they differ, if at all.

Attachments

• RSe10.jpg
    RSe10.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 209

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
New Satin Bronze RSe10's: 18x8 with 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. These replaced by AS3+'s so curious to see how they differ, if at all.
Which tires? The new PS All Season 4? Oops, see that's what you have in your pic. Let me know how you like them them. I have two AS3+ now and am torn between getting the other two or just switching to AS4.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I'll say right now, they were less money and TireRack had a decent preliminary review of the tires... I'll keep you posted though.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Those look mint. I've been eyeing them for a while. As a fellow admirer of bronze wheels, great taste. :p

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
After having them on a couple of days now I can say the color of the bronze changes with the light. In shade, they look much darker but brighten up in light conditions (sounds stupid when I write this but its true). Love them and the bronze color isn't so "in your face".