GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lighting, Should I buy bulbs or new head unit??

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
HID’s in reflector housings do blind oncoming traffic, the only exception are the older style halogens with the diffusing pattern moulded into the (usually glass) lens!
It DOES matter because you don't know whether your headlights blind the oncoming traffic - they do. And if you're unlucky to get noticed by a police patrol, they may not buy into your explanation and that might cost you some money. As I said before, it's entirely up to you...

All I'm saying is that if you get in an accident and your lights don't blind oncoming traffic no one will bring up the headlights. I'm not debating the type of bulb or fixture.

Zzonyx

The fact of the matter is that the OEM lights only are street-legal, the others are not - this pretty much closes any debate on the technicalities.

The insurance companies love to avoid paying a cent if they can get away with it, both involved parties much the same, so good long looks would be taken into the safety-relevant equipment on both cars, everyone's breaths would be tested, paperwork checked and, generally, pressure would be kept up. Any claim, even if invented for the purpose, would be duly considered and in that setting the lights may be brought up by a party seeking an advantage: a 2-vs-1 game.
So this is not really about "bulbs or fixtures", it's about driver's responsibility, legal and otherwise.

Figuring out who will be the paying party isn't that hard at all, is it?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
The fact of the matter is that the OEM lights only are street-legal, the others are not - this pretty much closes any debate on the technicalities.

The insurance companies love to avoid paying a cent if they can get away with it, both involved parties much the same, so good long looks would be taken into the safety-relevant equipment on both cars, everyone's breaths would be tested, paperwork checked and, generally, pressure would be kept up. Any claim, even if invented for the purpose, would be duly considered and in that setting the lights may be brought up by a party seeking an advantage: a 2-vs-1 game.
So this is not really about "bulbs or fixtures", it's about driver's responsibility, legal and otherwise.

Figuring out who will be the paying party isn't that hard at all, is it?

It's just one of those scenarios where you either roll the dice or not. I'm not saying I've never added illegal mods to a vehicle, but I'd never suggest someone else do it.

I do stay away from irritating lights, both for me and other drivers. Doesn't mean I don't have Jesus beams on cars; it just means they're not used on the road.

If there's one thing I wish I could tell everyone, it's to leave the darn fog lights off unless it's foggy.

Zzonyx

I do agree 100% with dosjockey's approach, borderline but reasonable and responsible. Thumbs up for the foglight remark, especially the rear ones, annoying except in once-in-a-lifetime epic fogs...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Title confused me, head unit means radio