GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lighter/Easier shift possible with 6MT GTI?

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Hey, loving my mk7 PP GTI but the shift is pretty terrible. It takes a fair bit of effort to get into and out of gear, and depending on what mood it's in, can be quite notchy into any gear.

I've cleaned and lubed the linkage on top of the gearbox and done several alignments, playing around with the amount of slack either way. I can make it worse with an alignment but can't really get it any better.

Is there anything else I can try? I've got f*&ked up hands from a crash, but have always been fine with VAG manuals, as they're usually butter. Worse case I get a DSG but if I can get the manual a bit slicker that would be great, thanks.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
A MQ200 6-speed lever on the transmission would have a heavier counterweight than the sporty MQ350. The heavier counterweight dampens the movement more, making it smoother.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Have you done most of these?
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/
Cumulatively, they make the stock setup pretty good. It's no S2000 or ND Miata, but it's better than a lot of German cars. The CDV delete, shift cable bushings and a short shifter are what I found to be the most noticeable, but each of them help a little, I've done all but the swirl valve delete, but may do that when I do a new clutch.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I might be restating what discusinferno said, but for me a weighted shift knob was helpful. Racesing makes nice ones. Black forest industries too.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Sounds out of whack to me. Stock shifter shifts like butter - should take very little effort to get into gear, not a "fair bit". You might want to try driving another and see how yours compares.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
1st to 2nd shift has always been balky on mine, but all others are smooth. A heavier aftermarket shift knob certainly helps.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
The 1->2 shift feels notchy as hell from 2400 to 5000 to me. Above and below that it "schnicks" right in smoothly.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Thanks for the ideas guys, appreciated. I'll look into heavier counterweights, shifter bushings and weighted knobs. I'll also try a couple of other GTI's and make sure my shifter isn't 'something's broken' bad.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
A shifter linkage alignment....
the making the manual transmission suck less thread...
a fluid change, motul gear 300 works very well for our 6 speeds....
Put some lightweight dielectric or lithium grease in the shifter ball and socket/shifter mechanism