GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light/Rain sensor retrofit

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Guys, do you know what is the different between LIN or Discrete settings of the light sensor?

BucsiB: Good question - The answer to which is: it determines how the device is integrated into the CAN network.

LIN (Local Interconnect Network) results in a simpler device because the rain sensor is a slave device to the Body Control Module and it needs only one wire connection. In VW's description - LIN is a serial single-wire data network, which is used to connect electronic components to higher-level control units.

On the other hand Discrete connected rain sensors are "stand alone" CAN devices with a status equal to higher-level control modules

The mk7 uses a LIN rain sensor

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
^^^^ according to VW - like this:

spiker369

on air, don't care
Just wanted to update with what I found for future users. I used a trim tool in between the skinny piece and the piece shown in the attached photos. Release the clips connecting both trim pieces and then there is a tab that sticks into the mirror housing itself that needs to be pulled out and then down. Seems they slightly changed the skinny piece for the 2017 cars (mirror hole opening is on the larger piece not the skinny piece) so I couldn't remove it but had enough room to get the work done I needed (routing wires to hardwire my dash cam)

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
BucsiB: Good question - The answer to which is: it determines how the device is integrated into the CAN network.

LIN (Local Interconnect Network) results in a simpler device because the rain sensor is a slave device to the Body Control Module and it needs only one wire connection. In VW's description - LIN is a serial single-wire data network, which is used to connect electronic components to higher-level control units.

On the other hand Discrete connected rain sensors are "stand alone" CAN devices with a status equal to higher-level control modules

The mk7 uses a LIN rain sensor

Don

Sir,

Rain sensor is LIN, ok. Light sensor is same thing right? They are using the Same one wire and GND...

I got the new switch.
To be honest It is not makes me that much happy as I was waiting for it.

No CH/LH lights and it always turns on the lowbeam in auto mode.
Even in daytime.

I did not find a detailed coding instruction so I did my best what I can,
The main think I was missing was the auto wiper, It's done.
Second is the auto light and Comming Home, Leaving Home.

Do you have a coding isntruction?

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
And I got the light error message, but just got one thing in my mind... I have one missing pin at the switch connector and I read something about it. And I already have the so called repair wire bondage to the wiring loom, but did not attached to BCM, because I was to waiting for the switch. But forgot it...

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
DV52:

I am totally disapointed.

Few things I did not mentioned and maybe that's the key point:
It s a MY14 German version car.
In Germany there are three stages, Trendline/Comfortline/Highline.
My car is a comfortline with regular incandescent headlights.
I am pretty sure the can gateway is not the base line because I was able to do few things which is not can be enabled on the low line series.

RLHS retrofitted, climatronic and auto wipers works fine.
I installed the Euro light switch. (Not the pigytailed chineese one.)

5 brake light, OK
DRL dimming when turn signal flashes, OK
4x lane change flash, OK
Window up/down by key FOB, OK
CH/LH functions never worked as I tried different scenarios.
Rain closing, not OK

By the modifications I think I changed LIN/Discrete options where it was allowed in some channels.

Now I was printing out the history from OBD11 app what is 32 pages (shit) and trying to undo changes what might doesn't make any sense.

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
Switch is discrete, sensor is LIN.
The RLHS as subsystem not exists constantly at the central electronics module and if I read out live data for light leve its saying not connected, lumen level is 28k something...

Sometimes the sensor is apears, sometime not.

Grrr, shall I try longcoding?

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
Can somebofy help me to figure out the cirrect coding for 8U0 955 559 C RLH sensor? Tried a few codes by suggestions but nothing. I have OBD Eleven so there isn't coding helper to see what you do, just bites .

My14 German 1.6 tdi.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Sir,

Rain sensor is LIN, ok. Light sensor is same thing right? They are using the Same one wire and GND...

Yes, same device physucally houses both rain and light sensors - and yes, same (one) wire for LIN communications with the Central electric module: see purple/white wire below:

I got the new switch.
To be honest It is not makes me that much happy as I was waiting for it.

No CH/LH lights and it always turns on the lowbeam in auto mode.
Even in daytime.

I did not find a detailed coding instruction so I did my best what I can,
The main think I was missing was the auto wiper, It's done.
Second is the auto light and Comming Home, Leaving Home.

Do you have a coding instruction?

CH/LH set-up (for OBD11) -see below

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Can somebofy help me to figure out the cirrect coding for 8U0 955 559 C RLH sensor? Tried a few codes by suggestions but nothing. I have OBD Eleven so there isn't coding helper to see what you do, just bites .

My14 German 1.6 tdi.

Bucsi: There are only 3 x Bytes in the RLS/RLHS/RLFS slave module. Here's the long coding helper screen from my mk7:

I'm aware that OBD11 screens are different, but simply use the descriptors from the Byte/Bit numbers from my pictures and code your module as appropriate - note that the default setting is 00A8DD

Don

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Don,

Last night I spend some time on different forums and guess what... your posts were the most helpfull.

Thing is might be a problem, my sensor ends with a B leter. I tried Audi and Skoda coding as well. It seems this sensor is not OK.

Default coding not working at all. Can I get something useable data for code if I connect the previous sensor and read the code of it?