GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light/Rain sensor retrofit

wippo567

Car(s)
15' G TDI, 16' GSW
So I finally got my light sensor and AUTO light switch. The rain-sensing wipers are working fine. The AUTO lights I am having a hard time getting to work. I am getting a "Fault Light" error on AUTO. Headlights are always on regardless of the time of day when on AUTO. The other selections work as intended. I was reading that there was a 9th wire that needed to be installed. Is that mandatory? I have 8 wires right now thinking I had 9 since I have the HomeLink Enhanced Mirror installed. I have coded Byte 6 to reflect the light sensor installed. I also enabled the LDS_mit_AFL too. Is there anything else I missed?

EDIT:
I think I answered my own question haha! This video is informative for those looking to get it done from scratch. Fortunately, I have the wiring from the humidity only sensor already installed. I don't understand a single word but the details are through in the video. Can anyone confirm that what I am doing is correct? Thanks!

Last edited:

wippo567

Car(s)
15' G TDI, 16' GSW
IMG_20230505_130213_01.jpg

So I finally got my cable, at least i thought I did. Are there different types and size of repair wires? Which one I am looking for? The one i bought is 000979025E. I couldn't fit this into the headlight clip. Unless i am doing it wrong.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh yes, there are dozens of repair wire types... I can look up the right one when I get a chance, although it might be somewhere early in this thread... or in one of the foglight retrofit threads, since that also requires adding a wire to the headlight switch.

wippo567

Car(s)
15' G TDI, 16' GSW
Thanks for the reply. The posts only mention N90764701 which is just the terminal but not the cable itself thus I was assuming it was just one cable type haha. Bad assumption.

Cuzoe, since you mentioned that it was the same wire for the rear fog, I looked this up and the this cable showed up.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/rear-fog-light-trigger-wire/000979009e/

Could 000979009E be the correct wire? I am guessing I wouldn't need more than 50 cm if it is.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I believe that is the right one. If you order it will come with the same pin on both sides. I don't know the length, but not very long. Of course you can always extend it with a couple splices.

wippo567

Car(s)
15' G TDI, 16' GSW
Installation was a success.

Just noticed that my part number for the sensor is 5Q0955555 which was misleading as the seller had used 5Q0955547B to market it. Apparently, it is a newer one but still works for the MK7 Golf for rain, humidity, light. I looked on the VW Parts website and it turns out that it is for an Atlas.

The wire I used was 000979009E. I purchased 100 cm but it is more than enough. I would say getting 50 cm is more than enough. Access to the BCM is easier than expected. You just need to remove 2 panels - the footwell and the panel under the pedals. Putting the wire into the right hole is easy as it is numbered.

Overall, I would say it is worth doing if you want OEM. I am curious to know if the installation of the wire will fix the Lighting Fault for my 2015 Golf TDI as I am using the Chinese sensor and light switch. Those who have it know what I am talking about when the fogs are on with AUTO and the outside lighting is bright.

Last edited: