GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leuchte channel priority question & NA Bootleg Rear Fog Idea

Smash209

Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Got my MK7 GTI and just started playing with OBD Eleven. Before doing a whole lot of research I purchased a euro headlight switch thinking with that and a few tweaks I would have rear fog lights and re-enable the separate turn signals (even if they are red). Well not with the NA tail lights! Now I have done the research (the rear fog bulbs are fake and so are the lower would-be amber part of the outer tails) but I have questions.

I may do the work to convert one reverse light to a rear fog but in the meanwhiletime why not prove the function works by lighting up the left inner tail light? I have not yet done the 5 brake light work either so let's do that too!

- Installed OEM VW Euro (non-auto) switch
- Changed adaptation 09 Central Electrics - Aussenlicht_uebergreifend - LDS_mit_Nebel_Schlusslicht from NO to YES
- Was only amused by the rear fog dash light for several mins
- Now for the Leuchte stuff, looking at the outer tail stock NA programming has me confused. If the priority of the alpha channels is GH>EF>CD>AB, why is the parking light function (Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)) higher priority (channel E) than the brake and turn signals?

Here are the Stock setting for the Left Outer Tail light for my car:
(1)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lasttyp 2014 - kombinierte Blink- Bremsleuchten
(2)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lampendefektbitposition 2013
(3)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 203D
(4)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion A 20Brake light
(5)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion B 20Blinken links Hellphase
(6)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimmwert AB 20100
(7)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 20Always
(8)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion C 20Blinken links Dunkelphase
(9)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion D 20not active
(10)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimmwert CD 200
(11)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimming Direction CD 20minimize
(12)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion E 20Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
(13)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion F 20not active
(14)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimmwert EF 2028
(15)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimming Direction EF 20maximize

I'm thinking the fact that both are maximize dimming direction would allow the brake function to light it up to 100 even when parking lights are on? Does the dark phase actually go to 0 if the parking lights are on (I will have to check this). Because if the priority was strictly enforced, then this light would not work as a brake or turning light when the parking lights were lit.

So... that brings me to how to setup the inner lights. I see two versions of the 4 or 5 brake light mod with one keeping the standing (parking) light in channel A and adding braking (Bremslicht) to channel C (and dimming 100 for CD) or moving the standing light to C, and putting braking function in A. I'm thinking either would work but there is probably a good reason for the latter.

So now adding on top of that the rear fog (Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt) to the Left side only...
Which is a better way to program?:

stock (for my ride)option 1option 2
(1)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lasttyp 239 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W; auch H159 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W; auch H159 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W; auch H15
(2)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lampendefektbitposition 230A0A0A
(3)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 23292929
(4)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion A 23Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)Brake lightBrake light
(5)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion B 23not activenot activeNebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt
(6)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert AB 2328100100
(7)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 23AlwaysAlwaysAlways
(8)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion C 23not activeStandlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
(9)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion D 23not activenot activenot active
(10)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert CD 2302828
(11)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimming Direction CD 23maximizemaximizemaximize
(12)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion E 23not activeNebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gestecktnot active
(13)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion F 23not activenot activenot active
(14)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert EF 2301000
(15)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimming Direction EF 23maximizemaximizemaximize
(16)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion G 23not activenot activenot active
(17)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion H 23not activenot activenot active
(18)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert GH 23000
(19)-Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimming Direction GH 23maximizemaximizemaximize

Basically put the fog function in channel E for high priority or put the fog in channel B alongside the brake function (both are 100 percent)?

This may be all theory at this point (I know this light at full brightness is not going to help in the fog) but I'm really interested in which would be correct (or something else entirely) and hoping @DV52 is reading!

Thanks!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmm........ if you add the fog and brake light function to the inner lamps and then give both light-functions the same Dimmwert value - there is no distinction for the driver at the rear when the car is braking (and you have the rear fogs switched-on).

Yes, the rear driver can see the outer brake-light illuminate, but if the reason that you added the brake light to the inner lights is because you believe that it adds value when braking- then this value is lost when the rear fogs are switched-on.

My suggestion is to use option one, but lower the Dimmwert EF value (above 28, but below 100) so that there is an obvious distinction when the rear fogs are switched-on , and the brake is applied.

Don