GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
if you go to a good shop there shouldnt be any bubbles

Are you sure about that? I went to a good shop with my previous car and there were a few bubbles that took 2-3 days in summer heat to go away.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Are you sure about that? I went to a good shop with my previous car and there were a few bubbles that took 2-3 days in summer heat to go away.
In my opinion, unless you somehow found a shop with with some sort of clean room enviroment, you're always going to have the odd speck of dust or small bubble here and there. Hell, my windshield has a human hair in the layers that would require replacing the whole glass piece to get rid of, came like that from the factory.

Most decent shops though, offer their own warranty on their work and not just the manufacturers warranty on the film. So if you do end up with lot of dust, bubbles or what have you, they'll take care of it to keep the customer happy.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In my opinion, unless you somehow found a shop with with some sort of clean room enviroment, you're always going to have the odd speck of dust or small bubble here and there. Hell, my windshield has a human hair in the layers that would require replacing the whole glass piece to get rid of, came like that from the factory.

Most decent shops though, offer their own warranty on their work and not just the manufacturers warranty on the film. So if you do end up with lot of dust, bubbles or what have you, they'll take care of it to keep the customer happy.

Every company I've had apply tint has warranted it for life including bubbles.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Is it true that ceramic tint doesn't bubble? I bought my car used and I have no idea what the previous owner did for tint, but in the last couple months the rear window has started to bubble and it gets worse every day. It looked perfectly fine until that first bubble showed up. I mentioned that to a local tinting guy and he told me it's not ceramic if it's bubbling. I'm going to have all my windows redone with ceramic anyway, so I'm just wondering.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Is it true that ceramic tint doesn't bubble? I bought my car used and I have no idea what the previous owner did for tint, but in the last couple months the rear window has started to bubble and it gets worse every day. It looked perfectly fine until that first bubble showed up. I mentioned that to a local tinting guy and he told me it's not ceramic if it's bubbling. I'm going to have all my windows redone with ceramic anyway, so I'm just wondering.
Depends. Llumar and 3M both have a non ceramic line that I believe is a dyed tint, both have a lifetime warranty against fading, bubbling, ect. So maybe it was just cheap film or a bad install? If the bubbles are near the dot matrix area (depending on window) it may just be a bad install where you have a weak area that's finally lifting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I haven't had ceramic tint but I would assume it would bubble also if not applied properly.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI

All I know is I saw my car and the dozen or so others at the shop I used (unique car care, @uniquecacare insta) and there wasn't a bubble in sight.

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Cheap film that uses weak adhesive tends to bubble. That's what makes it cheap in price, and it makes it very attractive to people.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Depends. Llumar and 3M both have a non ceramic line that I believe is a dyed tint, both have a lifetime warranty against fading, bubbling, ect. So maybe it was just cheap film or a bad install? If the bubbles are near the dot matrix area (depending on window) it may just be a bad install where you have a weak area that's finally lifting.

It's not near the dot matrix, but it is kinda interesting how nearly every bubble is right next to the heating element. My defrosters never get used either.

1603377865132.png

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I tried several different brands/ceramic films and none have bubbled. The one I like best is Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle. It’s been around for a long time and very good. That is what my tint guy installed on my various cars including my Golf-R.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I have Llumar tint, and after 3 years, is now starting to bubble. It was on the car when I bought it new at the dealer, so I don't know who they used.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
That's too bad, which Llumar was it? Probably a botched install. I've had over 10 cars maybe over 15? cars with Pinnacle and none exhibited bubbling. Some were parked outdoors 24/7 for 5+yrs. No issue.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I tried several different brands/ceramic films and none have bubbled. The one I like best is Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle. It’s been around for a long time and very good. That is what my tint guy installed on my various cars including my Golf-R.

what other brands have you tried?