GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The 50 was the way to go. I’m not a fan of any blacked out look. The 50 looks euro factory. Really happy with the work too not one bubble or blemish. Windshield with the 70 is just right. And no distorted view. I’m really happy with the work fro the guys I used.

Well your car is white, 50% on my old black Golf looked much lighter. I think 35% is probably the sweet spot for most colors.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I called the tint shop and made an appt the day I bought my car. I hate hate hate driving around in a fish bowl. I went with Pinnacle ceramic as well. 35% in the front and 20% in the back. Its the perfect amount of tint for me. Dark enough for some privacy and sun/light protection but not dark enough to attract unwanted attention from law enforcement. Also with the amount of cars with dark tint in my area you would think there are no tint laws at all and would never realize that anything less than 70% in the front is illegal. Myself and many people I know have had darker tint on their cars for years and never been stopped for it.

Another thing I want to mention is that these GTI's have those tiny little windows in front of the side mirrors that are very difficult to access for tint. Fortunately my guy is experienced with these MK7's and knew the best way to approach by taking off the A-pillar trim. This additional labor might be why your quote is higher than expected.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
23% all around (I know, weird arbitrary number). 20-30% is the sweet spot.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Had 15% for rear quarters and hatch, and that was way too dark for nighttime. I'm at 30% all around now, and it's perfect.

ShadyR6

Car(s)
2018 GTI
I went with 70 on the front windshield, and 50 all around. Im not sure how you cant see the 50 on the windshield. To me the 50 looks obviously tinted, to me.

I will post pics when its done today, I hope my defroster on the rear window still works, they said when they remove the old tint, it might break the wire. That would be a bummer.

They are also doing the front corner windows to my surprise, my last golf they would not do those, so hopefully they come out nice.
50% front windshield before and after.E6FEE3EA-FFF8-4004-A333-890DE8730100.jpegD3153868-71E5-4464-B400-1C710F95AA29.jpeg

ShadyR6

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Have you driven it at night yet?
Yes and I don’t have any issues.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like only the top strip was tinted?
The whole front is tinted at 50% + 5% strip. I posted this for those who are debating between 50% and 70%. Might as well go with 50% in my opinion.

For context my front windows are 35% which let a lot of light in and help keep the front tint from looking so dark.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The whole front is tinted at 50% + 5% strip. I posted this for those who are debating between 50% and 70%. Might as well go with 50% in my opinion.
Ah I see, in hindsight the strip does look a lot darker than 50% lol, not sure what I was saying. Personally couldn't see the difference at first but 50% looks good.

Always debated front windshield tint but it would suck to have to do it all over again after a cracked windshield and I don't exactly live in a place like Arizona or Florida.

ShadyR6

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Ah I see, in hindsight the strip does look a lot darker than 50% lol, not sure what I was saying. Personally couldn't see the difference at first but 50% looks good.

Always debated front windshield tint but it would suck to have to do it all over again after a cracked windshield and I don't exactly live in a place like Arizona or Florida.
When they finished tinting it I honestly thought they had forgot to do it. The only way I knew it was tinted was from the wet look and bubbles.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Same here, either you go 35% all the way around or anything in the rear but 50% in front. On my Mk7 I never got a ticket or pulled over and I ran 30%. I just dont want to take chances anymore. If I get two tickets for tint, that's a Misdemeanor here. Chicago is communist.

I'm in Illinois as well and was thinking 35% all around, however I just found out our mk7's do have some factory tint on all windows at 70%. So if you just get 35% thrown on you are actually at a lower illegal tint level.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I got 38% ceramic pinnacle all around. Looks great and the heat rejection is really good.

I have the vw oem sunshade kit in the rear windows and hatch making it appear blacked out in the back. I like it, some don't, my gti is white.

I regret not getting my windshield done in 70 or whatever the lightest this tint goes is. Probably going to go back and have that done.