GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
How many times have you backed in to random shit? My mom has super dark tint on her truck and she hates it. She's constantly backing into things.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I have had a lot of cars in the past, all tinted - and dark tint was something I wanted to avoid this time, but I live in the armpit of the south so wanted a lot of heat rejection. I went with 3M Crystalline at 50%, and couldn't be happier. It has lowered the temps a great deal compared to not having any tint, and it looks fantastic compared to 20% or lower. It's easily as good and probably better than the regular 3M 20 or 35%, but I can see at night without issue. Driving all day in direct hot sun you don't feel anything. Not doing the front as I typically go through a windshield a year around here, and not wanting to add any funky glare. It's pricey, but I highly recommend 3M Crystalline. I do want to go back and get the darkest shit they have put on the sunroof. WHY VW used this perforated shade is beyond me.

Last edited:

armedferret

Ready to race!
Can anyone really perceive the difference between 40% and 47%?

Probably not, but all they have to do is "suspect" tint is too dark, pull you over, and use their detection tool on the window that tells them what the percentage actually is.

Granted, they either need to be getting close to end of month and still shy of their citation "shift norms" (not quotas of course, because everyone knows there's no such thing :rolleyes: ) or the driver is committing other violations and they decide to hit 'em for everything.

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
Resurrecting an old thread here. But my golf r I just bought used was tinted by a moron who left bubbles. I would like best tint I can buy. I am looking at 3m crystalline. All around in 50%. I’m not a fan of the looks of dark tint.

I am being quoted $ 1030.00 in cost. Which seems high. In the past I don’t remember paying that much. Is that what it costs to tint an mk7 these days?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Resurrecting an old thread here. But my golf r I just bought used was tinted by a moron who left bubbles. I would like best tint I can buy. I am looking at 3m crystalline. All around in 50%. I’m not a fan of the looks of dark tint.

I am being quoted $ 1030.00 in cost. Which seems high. In the past I don’t remember paying that much. Is that what it costs to tint an mk7 these days?
Well, you are going for tippy-tippy-top of the line. Expect to pay the big bucks.
I'm Mk6, but close enough for these types of things. The shop who did my tint charges $600-700 (depending on 2dr or 4dr) for Crystalline, plus $150 to strip old tint. Add in tax and you're looking at $825-$940 out the door -- not terribly far off from your quote.
I had him do 3M Obsidian on mine. I've got a 2dr, so it was $460 on the door for me, which includes stripping my old tint.

ShadyR6

Car(s)
2018 GTI

Why not go with a ceramic tint? Keeps the heat out and should be a lot cheaper.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie

Probably because it includes labor to remove the old tint and all of the leftover adhesive to prepare for new tint, unless you already removed the old tint and left behind adhesive.

Have you shopped around for other places? Are you dead set on 3M Crystalline? Would you be willing to use other brands of ceramic tint?

Why not go with a ceramic tint? Keeps the heat out and should be a lot cheaper.

Maybe he wants higher heat rejection without the darkness.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie

Definitely the majority of that cost is the labor to remove the film.

50% Crystalline <-- Sunroof is open, against a mostly white background.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I have an appointment this Saturday, I'm going with FormulaOne Pinnacle and I wanna do 35% all the way around. I live in the Communist count of Crook, IL, so law is no lower than 35% is allowed.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have an appointment this Saturday, I'm going with FormulaOne Pinnacle and I wanna do 35% all the way around. I live in the Communist count of Crook, IL, so law is no lower than 35% is allowed.

In Wisc. we are only allowed 50% front, 35% rear but people drive around with 5% tint all over the place and seem to be avoiding tickets. I'm thinking of going with 25% front, 20% rear when I get a retint. I hate people being able to see right thru my hatch window.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
In Wisc. we are only allowed 50% front, 35% rear but people drive around with 5% tint all over the place and seem to be avoiding tickets. I'm thinking of going with 25% front, 20% rear when I get a retint. I hate people being able to see right thru my hatch window.
Same here, either you go 35% all the way around or anything in the rear but 50% in front. On my Mk7 I never got a ticket or pulled over and I ran 30%. I just dont want to take chances anymore. If I get two tickets for tint, that's a Misdemeanor here. Chicago is communist.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Same here, either you go 35% all the way around or anything in the rear but 50% in front. On my Mk7 I never got a ticket or pulled over and I ran 30%. I just dont want to take chances anymore. If I get two tickets for tint, that's a Misdemeanor here. Chicago is communist.

I heard in some places the cops will actually slice your tint when they pull you over if it measures greater than the legal limit. That seems more like a rumor to scare people though. I am also going with Llumar ceramic, one shop is quoting me $400 another $600 which isn't bad considering the tint that came on my car needs to be removed.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I heard in some places the cops will actually slice your tint when they pull you over if it measures greater than the legal limit. That seems more like a rumor to scare people though. I am also going with Llumar ceramic, one shop is quoting me $400 another $600 which isn't bad considering the tint that came on my car needs to be removed.
Yeah, the Pinnacle is what I'm going with. The shop quoted me $490 for all windows, including the smaller triangle windows near the mirror.

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in San Diego. So heat and uv protection is the most important I’m also getting the windshield 70% or 90% done at that price . IMHO I noticed a huge improvement with the windshield done on my old gti. Well worth it.

also I like the look of a lighter tint and more factory look.