GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Hey folks,

I live where it is hot. I need tinted windows for all the reasons. I know there are better kinds of tint than others and that some of them cost more because they are better. Is there a goldilocks tint that won't kill my bank account but is still gonna look great and keep me cool? Should I get 40% all around to make it even, or should I go with darkest because darkest is better? Thoughts?

These are my tint laws:
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 40% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 12% of light in.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
If you go with a good ceramic, the amount of light wont matter as it'll still block the same amount of heat. Personally I prefer the same all around. Just remember that the stock glass is I believe 7%, so adding a 40% tint will actually get you a ticket if the cop wants to be a dick.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just remember that the stock glass is I believe 7%, so adding a 40% tint will actually get you a ticket if the cop wants to be a dick.

Even if you don't get the ticket you're definitely going to be pulled over on sight by a fair amount of LEOs. "Tints too dark" is good for instant suspicion in many towns.

SK90

Passed Driver's Ed
I have uneven tint and though it looks great on my white Mk7 at night, it looks abit odd at times during the day. The laws where I am is as dark as you'd like on the back three, but 80% sunlight at the front. I went with 10% sunglight at the rear and 60% at the front, which is illegal though the cops in London don't care as long as it's not pitch black at the front.

Judging by pics I've seen uploaded by some users, Golf's do look better with less tint all around and I probably will reduce it soon.

I'd go for all round if I were you, so 40% all around according to your laws. Unless you're ok with breaking the law and going full tint round which (imo) would look good.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
Ceramic is the best but it may break the bank (expect $450-550). It will block more heat than the others. But if you're on a budget the 3M Color stable is pretty good too. Costs about $250 where I live.

There are alot of other good options which I'm sure many people will chime in.

I would go the darkest you can go but possibly match the back and rear windows. 40% front, 25% back and rear. (Only because I don't know how odd it would look if you when 12% back.) Maybe others can chime in or show pictures of those that have a darker rear vs back side?

You're lucky, its 50% front, 35% back/rear in Virginia. Also we have a +/- 8% before getting a ticket and its pretty rare anyways. You'd have to really piss off a cop to get one or get the worst cop ever.

Please post pics when you're done!

Starshine

Passed Driver's Ed
I wanted to get ceramic tint, but I was quoted $600 (plus another $250 for the windshield) for 3M ceramic, and about $450, plus extra for windshield, for F1 Pinnacle. Looks like I'm waiting for next summer to tint.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, the cost of the actual material is going to be less of an issue than finding an installer that knows what they're doing. And usually installers will only want to use decent film. I want to say I spent 400 for mine at 35% and it's not dark enough to get me in trouble. But I also had my clear bra done at the same time.

It also depends greatly on where you live.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Was quoted $425 for F1 pinnacle ceramic all around + windshield strip + small triangle windows. Got it down to $350 cash which I felt was fair.

Happy with the outcome, ceramic makes a big difference in terms if heat (my previous car was not ceramic, just the cheaper stuff). I also went with the darkest F1 they had which I think is 18%. May be a bit dark for some but it blends perfectly with the black pillars and night visibility isn't too bad.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
If you go with a good ceramic, the amount of light wont matter as it'll still block the same amount of heat. Personally I prefer the same all around. Just remember that the stock glass is I believe 7%, so adding a 40% tint will actually get you a ticket if the cop wants to be a dick.

Can anyone really perceive the difference between 40% and 47%?

peppy2

Ready to race!
Ask about 3M Crystalline tint. It is about $500 to do the back and sides and around $300 for the front windshield depending where you go. If heat is your problem, getting regular tint is pointless. You get what you pay for. If you get the crystalline or something higher, strongly consider doing the front also. I have the front in 90% and the sides in 40%. Is the car still hot? yes. Would the car be hotter without it? Most definitely. That's probably the difference between the $800 package vs the $2000 package..

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I got the Suntek Ceramic (CiR) 40 all around and LLumar Air Blue 80 for the windshield.
My AC dial doesn't have to stay at 5-6 when it's hot outside. 2-3 is the max, so it does help big time to reject heat through the windows and windshield.

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
I can't run windshield tint on my state. Boo. So really looking at Ceramic or Crystalline. Still wondering if Crystalline is worth the extra dough. The cash option for negotiating sounds appealing.

This car is going to be my baby, so I wanna treat her right, but I have to justify the cost.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I can't run windshield tint on my state. Boo. So really looking at Ceramic or Crystalline. Still wondering if Crystalline is worth the extra dough. The cash option for negotiating sounds appealing.

This car is going to be my baby, so I wanna treat her right, but I have to justify the cost.

Really with the 80-90% windshield tint, you can't even tell it's there.
But you'll be able to tell the difference with reduced temps.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I just got 50% 3m Crystalline tint on my 4 door. It's worth the money. You don't have to look like a gangster to reject a lot of heat.