GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left Lane Campers

Pleatia

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GMC, VW Wkendr, mk7
There is no answer for moron drivers. On I 80 I just get in with semi’s and can not really go The speed I would like. I would rather the left lane just pass and I will find open road somewhere else as I stay most slower in the right lane. It is really easier on the constitution to just relax and watch the idiots.
Frustrating though.
Plus good god when there is traffic get off the fucking cruise control. It is hard to pass a truck going 75 when your dumb ass is set at 76.
Shit I could go on all day!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^if i read you right, ditto; when i'm driving my work truck i tend to just chill in the right lane and let people fly past.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If police wrote tickets for driving in the left lane when not passing, instead of low level speeding tickets (less than 15mph over) they would stop camping and roads would be safer.

Our government knows that high speed travel is safe, and that flow conflict from poor lane discipline is what causes accidents and traffic, it's just more profitable to write speeding tickets.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Okay, so this is going to be unpopular…

I tend to hang out in the right hand lane, myself. Not always, but often. I tend to move a bit faster than the general flow of traffic on the highway, and I always watch my mirrors and move over to let people pass. I know and understand the law. My reasoning? My car is lowered, though not slammed. They maintain the roads like shit. I have already had to replace two of my wheels from potholes that could not be avoided and the left hand lane is always in better shape.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

I tend to hang out in the right hand lane, myself. Not always, but often. I tend to move a bit faster than the general flow of traffic on the highway, and I always watch my mirrors and move over to let people pass. I know and understand the law. My reasoning? My car is lowered, though not slammed. They maintain the roads like shit. I have already had to replace two of my wheels from potholes that could not be avoided and the left hand lane is always in better shape.
Just a theory, but around here Trucks and Buses aren't allowed in the left lane.

It's these huge, heavy vehicles that break up the black top.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I'll allow it. 🤣

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

I've noticed the left hand lane is frequently in better shape too.

I'm not militant about lane use. But have the situational awareness to watch your mirrors, and if there is a string of cars behind you, let them pass. Likewise, if you notice cars passing on the right and then getting in front of you, it's another sign you should get over and let faster moving traffic pass.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've noticed the left hand lane is frequently in better shape too.

I'm not militant about lane use. But have the situational awareness to watch your mirrors, and if there is a string of cars behind you, let them pass. Likewise, if you notice cars passing on the right and then getting in front of you, it's another sign you should get over and let faster moving traffic pass.
You're doing what is courteous and makes it safer and the traffic to flow better. The left lane campers don't give a shit.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

I drive very similarly to this for the same reasons -- the left lane is always in better shape. I'm always paying attention to surroundings, always checking my mirrors. I can't ever listen to audiobooks or podcasts while I drive because I never absorb anything; I'm too focused on the road.
I generally drive about 5 over anyway, so it's typically a non-issue. However, when I notice a speed demon coming up behind me, I always shift to the right to let them pass so that they can tailgate and be angry at the car in front of me.
I would call myself a left lane borrower. Using it when I can, and getting out of the way before I inconvenience anyone.

Just a theory, but around here Trucks and Buses aren't allowed in the left lane.

It's these huge, heavy vehicles that break up the black top.

Very true. And because of this, I've noticed that on bridges and overpasses with asphalt seams, it's always smoother to drive slightly offset (right or left) within your lane because the greatest wear on the road from tires is along the dead-center of the lane. Since the seams are metal, this leads to some pretty jarring bumps. By offsetting myself within my lane, I get to cruise over the seams on relatively fresh road for much gentler bumps. #LoweredProTips

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Half of my arguments with the miss are her reacting to my profanities directed @ left lane dampers, and generally idiotic drivers. nothing worse than the “tap the brakes for no reason every couple seconds” people, or those that literally just do things with 0 rhyme or reason, like get in the left lane @ 60mph as I’m approaching @ 80 without looking to see if someone was coming, and not accelerating or getting out of the way. Just staying at the same speed they were at in the middle/right lane.

there’s a special place in hell for idiotic drivers. I wish driving really was the “privilege” they make it out to be - it’s not. It’s a right that nobody has to earn. Mandatory 5-year evaluations, especially for people 50+ when it comes to their eyesight. 60+ mental acuity/reaction time checks. Driving tests are little more than “can you stop at a stop sign, can you parallel park, and can you do a k-turn.” P much all there is to getting on the road. No written component for whose got the right of way in various circumstances, nothing about left-lane vs right lane, nothing about HOW to merge on a highway... I just can’t stand the idiocy around me everyday, living in Philly.

don’t get me started on the 90+ mph weavers on 95 that often cause accidents up ahead within 5 mins of passing me

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I drive very similarly to this for the same reasons -- the left lane is always in better shape. I'm always paying attention to surroundings, always checking my mirrors. I can't ever listen to audiobooks or podcasts while I drive because I never absorb anything; I'm too focused on the road.
I generally drive about 5 over anyway, so it's typically a non-issue. However, when I notice a speed demon coming up behind me, I always shift to the right to let them pass so that they can tailgate and be angry at the car in front of me.
I would call myself a left lane borrower. Using it when I can, and getting out of the way before I inconvenience anyone.

Very true. And because of this, I've noticed that on bridges and overpasses with asphalt seams, it's always smoother to drive slightly offset (right or left) within your lane because the greatest wear on the road from tires is along the dead-center of the lane. Since the seams are metal, this leads to some pretty jarring bumps. By offsetting myself within my lane, I get to cruise over the seams on relatively fresh road for much gentler bumps. #LoweredProTips
I absolutely drive off center any time things start to get rough.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
The quality control on completed roadwork in my area is abysmal as well. I have hit transitions at 80 (in a 70) at night that make you hear the metal of your wheel… on a freshly completed project! No cones, no lights, no warning. Fresh black pavement and the step up to the concrete under the overpass felt like hitting a curb.
Another thing that I have learned to look for in the road ahead is scrape marks, gouges in the road, from other lower vehicles.

coniglio rampante

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Edit
Sadly, I can report that it’s no better here in Texas. I find I can usually make better time by staying in the right hand lane since nearly everyone who is merging* immediately abandons the right lane for either the middle or the passing lane.

*side note: the ability to merge in traffic is a lost skill here…drivers will literally come to a dead-stop, I guess in the hopes-n-prayers that someone will stop dead in the right lane to let them in. smdh.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Sadly, I can report that it’s no better here in Texas. I find I can usually make better time by staying in the right hand lane since nearly everyone who is merging* immediately abandons the right lane for either the middle or the passing lane.

*side note: the ability to merge in traffic is a lost skill here…drivers will literally come to a dead-stop, I guess in the hopes-n-prayers that someone will stop dead in the right lane to let them in. smdh.
The people that come to a dead stop absolutely make me lose my shit.