GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left Lane Campers

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The people that tap their brakes every few seconds confuse me. A lot of times it's pickup drivers who got going to fast and can't take a gradual turn in the highway, but an equal amount of people seem to brake for absolutely no reason.

I'm also confused by the drivers that have wild fluctuations in speed. I'm a cruise control user when traffic is conducive, and I'll get passed, then pass, then get passed again by the same car, over and over again. And my speed never changes 🤷‍♂️

That drives me nuts, especially when they will cut you off to get one car ahead, then slow down, get passed, then drive like an idiot again to get around you.

Also, I'll be behind a left lane camper, give them plenty of time to get over, eventually decide to pass them when I have room, and they speed up to try to keep you from passing them or ride your bumper after you pass them, you get back into center lane, then they pass and slow down again, trapping you.

Makes me want to go straight up GTA on people.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
lol in the same way people use the term “mouth-breathers,” I call these types “foot-drivers” hahahahahaha. It also drives me wild. I’m like dude just use CC (I bet they don’t know how)

My wife does this with the gas. Driving is a constant accelerate, lift, accelerate, lift, accelerate, lift, even at a steady speed. Her grandfather taught her how to drive and that's how he drove. I have to drive when we go places together.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
My wife does this with the gas. Driving is a constant accelerate, lift, accelerate, lift, accelerate, lift, even at a steady speed. Her grandfather taught her how to drive and that's how he drove. I have to drive when we go places together.

Mine too. It totally eliminates the possibility of getting some sleep on a long trip because I can feel the car shift in and out of overdrive.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mine too. It totally eliminates the possibility of getting some sleep on a long trip because I can feel the car shift in and out of overdrive.

She's also a left lane camper. Not because she's being a jerk, she's just a bad driver and has no awareness that 10 cars are stacked up behind her. I'm always telling her to get out of the left lane when I ride with her, which is infrequent, because I try to drive whenever we go anywhere. I just can't keep quiet when she's camping and she gets mad when I tell her to get in the right lane.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah same with my gf and she actively refuses to use cruise control. "I like to feel in control."

I'm more in control than her when I use cruise control. I look ahead, and utilize the cancel / reset functions frequently when i see someone tap the brakes ahead. Rarely use my brakes, rarely use my right foot on the highway.

I also use cruise control in just about any and every situation in which i will feasibly be cruising in the current gear for anymore than 5-10 seconds. I'm borderline addicted to cruise control hahahaha. It makes driving like a game - looking ahead and using the cruise functions to anticipate traffic ahead and keep my momentum going with as little gas + brakes used. I'm a huge .5 miles from a red light downshifter, and allow the engine braking in 3rd to carry me down to 30-20 or so, in the hopes the light will turn green + the line of cars will get moving soon enough that i won't have to come to a complete stop.

I've been driving this way since 3 or so years after i got my license, and i have never replaced brake pads on a car i've owned. no pads, no rotors. i drove my last GTI to 100K miles on factory pads/rotors. Only changed fluid. they still had life left in them, though it was likely getting to a point they were becoming unsafe due to sheer age/weather cycling making the pads brittle and lose their bite.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That drives me nuts, especially when they will cut you off to get one car ahead, then slow down, get passed, then drive like an idiot again to get around you.

Also, I'll be behind a left lane camper, give them plenty of time to get over, eventually decide to pass them when I have room, and they speed up to try to keep you from passing them or ride your bumper after you pass them, you get back into center lane, then they pass and slow down again, trapping you.

Makes me want to go straight up GTA on people.

Funny how GTA changes your view on real life. My daughter always laughs when we see a Loomis truck. Sticky bomb?

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
She's also a left lane camper. Not because she's being a jerk, she's just a bad driver and has no awareness that 10 cars are stacked up behind her. I'm always telling her to get out of the left lane when I ride with her, which is infrequent, because I try to drive whenever we go anywhere. I just can't keep quiet when she's camping and she gets mad when I tell her to get in the right lane.

The struggle is real.

If she drives, I get accused of back seat driving when I point something like that out.

On the plus side, being that I drive 99% of the time, I get to call in favors. And by favors I mean she's my designated driver 🤣

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The struggle is real.

If she drives, I get accused of back seat driving when I point something like that out.

On the plus side, being that I drive 99% of the time, I get to call in favors. And by favors I mean she's my designated driver 🤣
lol my gf would never be the DD. fortunately my best friend who lives 2 blocks away has been sober for 10 years :D

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Funny how GTA changes your view on real life. My daughter always laughs when we see a Loomis truck. Sticky bomb?

If only you could take a couple shots at the car in front of you and they'd speed up. Lol

Well, I do live in Florida. Hmmmmmm

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
On the plus side, being that I drive 99% of the time, I get to call in favors.

And by favors I mean she's my designated driver 🤣

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Definitely worth noting 6 of the 14 points i've accrued in my driving career were directly caused by left lane campers / idiotic drivers boxing me in and driving me so crazy that the moment i get an opening i punch it, and a cop saw it. they are not understanding of the struggle, despite their own experience with it all day everyday.

just wanna take this moment to say FTP / ACAB <3

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My grand dad would matt the loud pedal right up to the speed limit, then side step the pedal. I can't count the number of times I could hear the car behind us lock up the brakes in order not to ram us. It was a terrifying experience. You knew it was coming each light, but couldn't do anything to prepare for it. My mom drives like the pedals are digital inputs, full on or full off. I made her pull over a few blocks from the airport one time so I could drive, the hangover and her driving were not simpatico.