GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left Daytime Running Light (DRL) not working (U-shaped LED on driver's side)

a3golfer

Has anyone had this happen where the "U" portion is not working?

The error in the dash is: "Check left daytime running light"

The light next to it still comes on and the other side with the light and the "U" is working. I know it has to be water related because I have condensation in my headlight that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm going to have to wait until Friday or so to take this apart.

Do you know if it's the control unit or another part based on my GTI's symptoms?

http://www.vwgolf.org/removing_and_...ing_light_and_side_light_j860_j861_-2514.html

As far as I can tell all the functions work, fog light, high beams, regular headlights, etc.

theohdolphillus

Passed Driver's Ed
i have the same problem.. except mine is with the right daytime running light not working. Does yours work intermittently? Sometimes when I start the car it will be working perfectly, and then just stop working after driving a few minutes.

I have taken it to the dealership, and they told me it was because I was in a front end collision before, and whoever did the repairs incorrectly installed the light. Something to do with the bumper and light not aligning or something... I thought it was a BS excuse.

Let me know if you find a solution! Mine doesn't have any condensation though

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Control module or entire headlight (as it is my understanding that LED portion is not repairable). You can swap modules to see if problem moves to other headlight, if it doesn't move then you need a headlight.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I have had this not working on occasion, but I never got the warning light. I'd turn the car off, turn it back on, and it would usually light up again, so I just chocked it up to buggy VW firmware (like how the window auto down button doesn't always work and needs to be reset occasionally). No front end collisions here (that I know of lol)

a3golfer

Control module or entire headlight (as it is my understanding that LED portion is not repairable). You can swap modules to see if problem moves to other headlight, if it doesn't move then you need a headlight.

Ah interesting, I didn't realize the parts would be universal. I'll have to try that later this weekend.

amsr

Ready to race!
Just curious if you ever sorted this out. My right side daytime running light intermittently gives and error and doesn’t work, but then it does if I restart the car. Happens every few weeks.

theohdolphillus

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious if you ever sorted this out. My right side daytime running light intermittently gives and error and doesn’t work, but then it does if I restart the car. Happens every few weeks.
New module “solved” my problem, but it still goes out after rains, then comes back on after it dries :(