GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED taillights and electronic parking brake on NA model?

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
So it was a bit odd of VW to show off a euro-spec Golf R at the North American International Auto Show. I mean showing off a 2-door when they said we're getting the 4-door only??

Also noticed the car has LED taillights, electronic parking break, and instead of center cup holders it has the covered storage bin. I'd heard the NA market was getting a traditional parking brake on the GTI, anyone know how that carries over to the Golf R?

Any other little regional differences people may have noticed between the NAIAS car and the press release info?

I'm personally happy with what I know of the car, a 4-door would be the only one I'd buy anyhow, and the transmission choice is great. My only complaint is that we don't have the option of the cloth sport seats, I hate leather seats, but I think I'll be able to make a compromise for this car. Also, sunroofs, meh, don't really care either way, but seeing as how i barely use them i'd prefer like $1,000 less and an extra inch or two of headroom.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Bearing in mind how long it's going to be until the US gets the cars, clearly they've used a European-spec car to display as there are no US-spec models yet.

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
Bearing in mind how long it's going to be until the US gets the cars, clearly they've used a European-spec car to display as there are no US-spec models yet.

i guess i just meant "euro-spec" in terms of the 2-door. there are 4-door golf r's available around the world (or going on sale very shortly), correct? (perhaps i'm uninformed only 2-doors are in production at this time). i know the industry seems to like the 2-door look better (i personally think 4-door is better looking), i just wonder why they'd risk confusing/off-putting us stupid yankees like that.

also, with little things like the euro "cup-holder", is there no concern that americans might see lack of cup holders in the console as a bad thing? i mean, where are we going to put our 44oz coca-colas.

regarding tail-lights, if we get non-led in north america, they would surely be almost identical to lights on lower golf and gti trims in other parts of the world, maybe slightly tinted. yet another easy swap to show off the car we'll be getting.

maybe the biggest priority was to display the best looking model available (blue, 2-door, led tails, etc), versus what will actually be available, as the average non-vw-nut won't notice things like electronic parking brakes.

does anyone know if the other options shown on the show car (led tails, parking brake, etc) will carry over? i didn't see it mentioned in any press releases or walk-arounds yet, hoping one of the more vw-centric media outlets (vwvortex, etc) asked a few of these specific questions. :)

GGray

Ready to race!
I might be peeved if all they bring in is the dam 4 door, I woudl be buying mine as a toy not a family hauler.. I have that already its called a Touring..... Since i want a two door...

I agree I would like cloth. Us market seems to think dead cow on the seats is great.. Can't stand leather...