GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED tail light (reverse bulb)

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know what bulb size is required for the GTD/GTI/R LED tail light reverse bulb? Want to upgrade them from halogen to LED bright white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
It's most probably even not halogen but just a conventional standard bulb.
If I'm right, I'd recommend to look for a stronger Halogen replacement as
most LEDs have poor dispersion properties, meaning you won't experience
any gain on reverse visibility. If you want style, go for LEDs, If your target
is more light in reverse, get Halogens or have luck and find dedicated LEDs
providing similar capabilities.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
For European style lights it is a H21W. Likely same for US version, my US versions are boxed up. Pretty easy to access. Open hatch, remove plastic cover, 1/4 turn of bulb assembly, remove bulb.

As usual "The Bruce" nailed the answer. I replaced with LED bulbs and immediately put the conventional halogen bulbs back as they were significantly brighter.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
They require the baY9s - we have a very bright one available that is 100% error free / plug & play:
http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-leds-for-mk7-euro-led-taillights

These utilize 10 of the latest CREE LED technology, it is bright! It has 2 CREE LEDs behind a projector lens to project light outwards, and 8 more CREE LEDs on the side of the light which utilizes your housing's reflector.

Free Shipping within the US - Lifetime Warranty

Customer feedback:
Just received my Euro LED Tail - LED Reverse Lights from deautokey.

Yet again, they continue to exceed my expectations in customer service as well as light output quality. No codes and super simple easy installation!

Just twist and pull.. Very bright and nice to be back on LED Reverse Lights. Bright White!

Thank you DeAutoKey! I have almost every deautokey LED, only thing left I am contemplating to purchase soon is the LED Trunk Light. Still debating though! Will definitely let you know!

And this is a photo of a garage lit up from 15 feet away with these LEDs:

Last edited:

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
It's most probably even not halogen but just a conventional standard bulb.
If I'm right, I'd recommend to look for a stronger Halogen replacement as
most LEDs have poor dispersion properties, meaning you won't experience
any gain on reverse visibility. If you want style, go for LEDs, If your target
is more light in reverse, get Halogens or have luck and find dedicated LEDs
providing similar capabilities.

I was at the VW dealer yesterday regarding the MDI cable, due to mine being faulty. But whilst I was there, they were doing filming for an advert on ITV, so obviously they were moving all the cars around. I noticed that every new model of car VW have, they all had LED reverse LED's as standard. Well I say all of them, but I only saw 2 (new scirocco & the Tiguan. They both had them as standard.

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
For European style lights it is a H21W. Likely same for US version, my US versions are boxed up. Pretty easy to access. Open hatch, remove plastic cover, 1/4 turn of bulb assembly, remove bulb.

As usual "The Bruce" nailed the answer. I replaced with LED bulbs and immediately put the conventional halogen bulbs back as they were significantly brighter.

Hmm, I'm not too sure whether it's H21W or baY9s as I'm getting 2 responses. Although I've never really heard of baY9s bulbs. I'd love to know the bulbs that VW use for the reverse LED's from factory. They obviously wouldn't use LED's for reverse if they didn't find them bright enough.

They require the baY9s - we have a very bright one available that is 100% error free / plug & play:
http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-leds-for-mk7-euro-led-taillights

These utilize 10 of the latest CREE LED technology, it is bright! It has 2 CREE LEDs behind a projector lens to project light outwards, and 8 more CREE LEDs on the side of the light which utilizes your housing's reflector.

Free Shipping within the US - Lifetime Warranty

Customer feedback:

And this is a photo of a garage lit up from 15 feet away with these LEDs:

Already been on your site for these but you don't ship to the UK, otherwise I would.

VW Villan

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm pretty sure they do ship anywhere, you just have to email them to get a shipping quote

They do ship to UK, I bought some! However I did get stung by customs which has a minimum £8 charge plus vat on your order. You might just squeeze in under the threshold if this is all you're ordering but I'd look at LEDperf which is EU based.

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
They do ship to UK, I bought some! However I did get stung by customs which has a minimum £8 charge plus vat on your order. You might just squeeze in under the threshold if this is all you're ordering but I'd look at LEDperf which is EU based.

Looked at LEDperf and they only do the reverse LED's for the normal tail lights, rather than the LED tail lights for the GTD/GTI/R.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
I just ordered these today - free shipping to most countries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161384748580?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

H21W is the bulb type and Bay9s refers to the offset on the bulb itself. Check out that link above and scroll through the pictures, it explains the different offsets in picture form. For the GTI with LED tails, (EURO) we need H21W bulbs with a Bay9s offset. I too have the Euro LED tails.

So the bulbs above are perfect fitment and error free. And the projector LED beam + additional side leds will provide a lot of light.

Compare to these that will give off a lot less light:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H21W-BAY9...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20db81ef5d

If porshce, audi, mercedes, cadillac, gmc...are all using LED's in their new cars, there has to be good reason. A point to note is that the led systems they use are multiple bulbs much like the bulbs inside our LED tails(the red part), as compared to the single bulb we can fit on our car(reverse).

This bulb is my final change to a complete LED conversion. I've replaced the vanity mirror lights with philips led festoon bulbs, glove box, trunk (massive led with 25 leds), and the cornering lights in the headlamps with philips diamond vision ultimate white light (not LED but still...white). Cannot stand any halogen/amber lights on a car that has Led's almost throughout.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
AJones.MK7GT, Ronin

The do ship to the UK, they can ship it USPS Priority Mail or First Class Mail, you can contact them for a quote.

These Reverse are bright for such a small bulb in a small housing, it is a must have.

http://deautokey.com/contact

Within the US, it is free shipping - our LEDs have 10 CREE LEDs vs the 5 listed above, those 5 extra CREE LEDs create a lot more noticeable light when reversing, these LEDs are error free / plug & play and come with a lifetime warranty

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm, I'm not too sure whether it's H21W or baY9s as I'm getting 2 responses. Although I've never really heard of baY9s bulbs. I'd love to know the bulbs that VW use for the reverse LED's from factory. They obviously wouldn't use LED's for reverse if they didn't find them bright enough.

It is H21W is bulb from factory. Bay9s is the base and only one of the specifications for the stock H21W bulb. Here is a link to all the specifications of for the H21W bulb. https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/eiko-h21w-specsheet.pdf

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor