GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED reading light retrofit

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Has anyone ever done this?

My 2016 MK7 came with yellowish (not super yellow, but around 3500K) halogen bulbs and I noticed on ETKA there's a LED version (P/N 5TA947105B or P/N 5TA947106 for sunroof versions).

Any insights on how to retrofit these?

Last edited:

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
If have been looking to see this mod myself as as well., electrically and size wise they seem to be identical and should fit with no issues. But personally haven't tried yet. Again it is one of the things I think if i really need it, especially if the current one (halogen version) just works fine. Plus was able to replace the T5 bulbs with LED bulbs, which is whiter.

If you are planning to replace, take a look at aliexpress., their pricing is pretty good and also list the vehicle year/model it would fit it., both for SunRoof and non Sunroof trims.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I think you are referring to the model listed below ?

mk7_1.jpg
mk7_2.jpg

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Update; found a really cool guy on the forum who retrofitted these. They are plug and play, which is awesome. Back in my A3, you had different wiring and it was a hassle to retrofit.

Going to order them soon!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Just throwing an update here: Ordered the rear LED map lights just to test. They look gorgeous compared to the AliExpress LED bulbs.

On the way are also the front & makeup/vanity mirror lights.

red_jesus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Passat GT
If have been looking to see this mod myself as as well., electrically and size wise they seem to be identical and should fit with no issues. But personally haven't tried yet. Again it is one of the things I think if i really need it, especially if the current one (halogen version) just works fine. Plus was able to replace the T5 bulbs with LED bulbs, which is whiter.

If you are planning to replace, take a look at aliexpress., their pricing is pretty good and also list the vehicle year/model it would fit it., both for SunRoof and non Sunroof trims.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I think you are referring to the model listed below ?

View attachment 180821View attachment 180822

Can anyone identify the bulb type in these? I've been looking at replacing the factory LED's with some slightly brighter but can't figure out the type.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Can anyone identify the bulb type in these? I've been looking at replacing the factory LED's with some slightly brighter but can't figure out the type.

Factory LED versions, like the one on the pic on my post above is non-replaceable ones., its a SMD type LED chip soldered on to a board connected with a resistor. Brightening it will involve removing this board and replacing with a similar sized board with a larger LED chip and a resistor., which is not straight forward.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Factory LED versions, like the one on the pic on my post above is non-replaceable ones., its a SMD type LED chip soldered on to a board connected with a resistor. Brightening it will involve removing this board and replacing with a similar sized board with a larger LED chip and a resistor., which is not straight forward.

In regards to brighter LEDs on a factory fitted LED module, this the options, i am considering to retrofit with., havent tried it yet. But sharing it just to give you some options/ideas.

custom_led.jpg

This is basically a "Natural White" 3W Cob Bead LED, the color is not yellow or bluish white., but natural white close to the existing factory color. you will also need a driver board which is a 3w/5w led 12v driver board. You can purchase this off from ebay, amazon or aliexpress.

red_jesus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Passat GT
In regards to brighter LEDs on a factory fitted LED module, this the options, i am considering to retrofit with., havent tried it yet. But sharing it just to give you some options/ideas.

View attachment 195742

This is basically a "Natural White" 3W Cob Bead LED, the color is not yellow or bluish white., but natural white close to the existing factory color. you will also need a driver board which is a 3w/5w led 12v driver board. You can purchase this off from ebay, amazon or aliexpress.
Thats pretty cool! I had replaced everything else with deAutoLEDs and wanted to update the factory LEDs as well. Not really upset with the factory ones, but figured I'd look into it.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I honestly think the factory LED map lights are just the right brightness. The best thing about them is the color temperature. Aftermarket LED bulbs are always so white.

flogR

Ready to race!
It always beats me when light sources are fitted in black housings which reduces the brightness. I either paint the area behind the light source white with "whiteout" or arrange aluminium (al_u_min_i_um) i.e. not aluminum foil as a reflector (taking care not to touch electrical contact points). You can do the same with remote controls to increase the range.