GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED lights in BEC headlights (Ed's reps)

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I also hope for you it's a one-off, but I've been having similar issues with my kit (only one side) for the last year or so. Sounds like I'll look into that Hylux kit.

I've had a lot of problems with morimoto also, but in a different car (not the VW). Not sure what it is. Same problem as described above. One side won't come on unless I flick the lights on and off. Sometimes it will flicker and come on slowly. Sometimes it will work fine. I've replace the igniter, ballast and relay on that side multiple times. Issue will be fixed, but then come back. Said fuck it, bought a whole new morimoto kit bc I thought it was the wiring since new components kept going bad. The new kit was good for awhile, but same issue is happening now. FML.

Morimoto HID kit- Ugh, so damn annoying, my right side low beam bulb won't ignite. I'm guessing it has something to do with the temperature? It's getting colder lately, 4C/39F. I've tried power cycling maybe a dozen times and it still won't work, it seems that I have to wait for it to warm up a little bit and power cycle a few more times for it to hopefully ignite. Although maybe that's just by luck if temperature doesn't have anything to do with it.

I might have to look into the Hylux kit. Did anyone end up going LEDs on them?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'm still thinking LED lights might be the way to go. Less crap to go wrong vs HID. Thinking of picking up an Opt7 kit.

Let us know what you go with! I also want to go with LEDs just because of the issues people are having with HIDs.

The Ed's lights come with universal sockets, correct? So could I just get some H7 LED retrofits from Diode Dynamics? I've had their LEDs before and those were amazing.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Any update here? Would prefer to use LED’s over HID’s, but hesitant to do so because of Ed’s clear advice not to lol.

In one of the instruction documents from BEC/Ed, they say "LED bulbs do not fit into the headlights, as there is not enough space to fit the rear cover back on, so this
is not recommended."

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
LED Version of these lights installed and must say they have been great so far! Heres an in depth video that explains them well.

I just had the HIDs installed a week ago with the Hylux kit and I’m already having tons of issues with them firing consistently on cold mornings. Thinking I’m just going to go with the LEDS bulbs like yourself. I’m already beyond frustrated.

Are they bright enough for you, compared to the stock halogens if you had them?

Was the install easy? Is there anything special that needs to be done or any pointers?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
You got vcds? If so, might want to change light channels 9 and 10 to xenon and change dimmwert ab (i think, could be cd) to 127 opposed to 100. Pretty sure those are the correct channels. Been a while.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I just had the HIDs installed a week ago with the Hylux kit and I’m already having tons of issues with them firing consistently on cold mornings. Thinking I’m just going to go with the LEDS bulbs like yourself. I’m already beyond frustrated.

Was the install easy? Is there anything special that needs to be done or any pointers?
That's odd, I found the Hylux kit more consistant.

Raginrhino

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI S
That's odd, I found the Hylux kit more consistant.
Its just been so incredibly cold in Wisconsin, which may be the issue. Literally got them installed the first day of this polar vortex-ish weather we've been seeing, for what feels like forever.

I'm very concerned if it gets this cold by the time I leave work, when its dark out for a few months of the year, and they wont work. They seem to both work fine once the car is warmed up, and the oil temp reading is in the center of the gauge. I have yet to try it when its above 10 degrees F out lol.

It feels like it will be such a hassle to either wait for my car to warm up for these to work properly in cold weather before going anywhere at night, or risk getting bothered by the cops for having a headlight out.

Doesn't really seem normal, which is why I'm somewhat interested in the LED low beam kit Ed offers for peace of mind.

Jewels_mk7

Drag Racing Champion

LED bulbs are bright! much brighter than stock halogens and its near a 5k (white) color when turned on/warmed up. just make sure you get it aimed properly for you to take advantage of the LED white

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor