GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED lights in BEC headlights (Ed's reps)

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried installing H7 LED lights in the BEC Autoparts (aka Ed's replica) headlights?

I know that these typically ship with an HID kit, but they are also designed to accept the OEM H7 halogen bulbs and have the H7 connector inside the housing.

I've been having a lot of trouble with my Morimoto HID kit. The left HID ballast has already burned out once last year and was replaced via RMA with a replacement unit, and now that replacement is showing signs of giving up once again this year (getting intermittent non-firing on colder mornings out of nowehere). I'm thinking replacing the whole thing with a good quality H7 LED kit might be worthwhile, as they will run cooler and should be more reliable, and the whole setup is a lot simpler. The only thing I think I'd need is an extended dust cap to fit the cooling fins and fan that so many LED headlights have.

Anyone have experience with this? Is the light output good enough?

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Nobody has tried LED lights in Ed's reps? Wow, I never thought I'd have such an original idea.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Pre-facelift or facelift?

In one of the instruction documents from BEC/Ed, they say "LED bulbs do not fit into the headlights, as there is not enough space to fit the rear cover back on, so this
is not recommended."

I guess that's why no one's tried it yet. Let us know if you go through with it! Curious myself as I have Morimoto 5500k bulbs on mine.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Pre-facelift or facelift?

In one of the instruction documents from BEC/Ed, they say "LED bulbs do not fit into the headlights, as there is not enough space to fit the rear cover back on, so this
is not recommended."

I guess that's why no one's tried it yet. Let us know if you go through with it! Curious myself as I have Morimoto 5500k bulbs on mine.

You can buy extended rear dust covers (although I'm not sure if they will clear whatever junk may be in the way inside the engine bay). I don't think that will be the biggest concern personally.

I'm mostly concerned about light output.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
You can buy extended rear dust covers (although I'm not sure if they will clear whatever junk may be in the way inside the engine bay). I don't think that will be the biggest concern personally.

I'm mostly concerned about light output.

Our H7 LED is the brightest on market and made for projectors - great light output - it will not be more than a HID but much more compact. It is just a small driver that all fits inside the housing.

If you are looking for something to replace HID many have gone with this model:
http://deautokey.com/product/leds-exclusively-for-projector-headlights

And hikari - brightest we seen on market vs ours - you can see the difference - many are running this and are happy with what they provide vs a HID kit:

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Our H7 LED is the brightest on market and made for projectors - great light output - it will not be more than a HID but much more compact. It is just a small driver that all fits inside the housing.

If you are looking for something to replace HID many have gone with this model:
http://deautokey.com/product/leds-exclusively-for-projector-headlights

And hikari - brightest we seen on market vs ours - you can see the difference - many are running this and are happy with what they provide vs a HID kit:

You should really add pictures of the bulbs/units themselves to your website. How am I supposed to know that they will fit in the housings I have without knowing what your units look like?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Makes me suspect it's the same thing you get from ebay for $20.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
You should really add pictures of the bulbs/units themselves to your website. How am I supposed to know that they will fit in the housings I have without knowing what your units look like?

Are you referring to the dust cap? Many can place it all inside with no issue but if not there are dust caps that round out so you can fit it all inside without having to cut into the dust cap.

Makes me suspect it's the same thing you get from ebay for $20.

Not even close. If that was the case everyone that switch from their cheap ebay/amazon LEDs to deAutoLED would be in an uproar when they saw the same results. Instead people are seeing a brighter LED with more light spread on the road:
https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

"I wish I switched sooner"
"Much brighter than my other LEDs"
"You get what you pay for"

At the end it is up to you but people know our reputation and what we offer.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
To each their own. The output pictures on that site are hideous. All brands. Not your fault deautoled. You may have a great product, just not for me.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
To each their own. The output pictures on that site are hideous. All brands. Not your fault deautoled. You may have a great product, just not for me.

As we said it is really ok.

We are simply giving the OP an option and guarantee it will work and look good as he is asking for a bright LED for projectors which we have and they are installed by many.

Our customers are enjoying more light from a very bright LED in a projector. That leads to others seeing it and wanting the same product because they 1) have HID from brands that cause issues 2) have other LEDs that do not produce that much light on the road.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
When I go BEC/AKD headlights, I was going to try using this:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d2s-led-headlight-bulbs-morimoto-2stroke.html

They are for a D2H/D2S HID, so I'm assuming they would work in the projectors on the BEC lights?

Not as bright. Hikari is brighter than those and in photo above that is Hikari vs deAutoLED. We do not think they are meant for projectors either from feedback we seen on other forums.

LEDs are near impossible to get as bright as HID while having a good beam angle in projectors and why our projector LEDs have been popular.

This was feedback from a customer. While we do not think it is brighter than a 55w HID - to him it was:
"Man what a beautiful light! It's brighter than my 55w xenon. I might send you some media for your marketing n stuff. Thanks"

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Hey deAutoLED, thanks for the initial input, but please refrain from replying to every comment in this thread from here on out. You've said your piece, now I would appreciate it if you didn't hijack this thread and turn it into one big advertisement for your company.

Thank you.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!