GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED headlights for 2019 S trim

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Ed's or BMP Illuminators are my pick, personally. I went with Ed's while they were available, you can also look for Vacar via AliExpress. Light output is significantly better than stock, only thing you may run into is minor difficulty in passing inspection, depending on where you live. Reps don't typically have the little orange corner marker integrated into the headlight housing, but swapping the headlights for inspection isn't a massive issue.

cb1111

Ed's or BMP Illuminators are my pick, personally. I went with Ed's while they were available, you can also look for Vacar via AliExpress. Light output is significantly better than stock, only thing you may run into is minor difficulty in passing inspection, depending on where you live. Reps don't typically have the little orange corner marker integrated into the headlight housing, but swapping the headlights for inspection isn't a massive issue.
Correct. there is no legal headlight swap. You can swap the bulbs out for Sylvania Silverstars that will give you more light output and is a legal solution.

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I got Ed's and regret it. Light output is uneven and not impressive for how much money they cost. Now the exterior is peeling so will eventually go back to the stock halogen headlights.

Also I thought they were a pain in the ass to install in since you have to work around the front bumper. I would not want to change them out every year for inspection.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I got Ed's and regret it. Light output is uneven and not impressive for how much money they cost. Now the exterior is peeling so will eventually go back to the stock halogen headlights.

Also I thought they were a pain in the ass to install in since you have to work around the front bumper. I would not want to change them out every year for inspection.
Huh, how long have you had them? I'm hoping sometime in the future we get DOT-compliant lights in the same style, personally I've not had any issues with light output though I will agree the installation in cold February weather kinda sucked. But if you know of a shop that's a little forgiving with inspections, you should be able to get away with not having the corner markers. But again, that leaves it up to you to have a shop willing to turn a blind eye to it.

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Huh, how long have you had them? I'm hoping sometime in the future we get DOT-compliant lights in the same style, personally I've not had any issues with light output though I will agree the installation in cold February weather kinda sucked. But if you know of a shop that's a little forgiving with inspections, you should be able to get away with not having the corner markers. But again, that leaves it up to you to have a shop willing to turn a blind eye to it.
Time flies, almost 3 years

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Time flies, almost 3 years
Good to know, thanks! Mine (HID not LED, but I'm sure it's the same housings) went in last year around this time and haven't given me any issues, but we'll see how the exterior holds up. I've heard mixed things on Lamin-X film for them, so I opted not to go that route but may consider it in the future -- I figure that's a bridge I'll cross when the time comes.

I wonder how many other folks have run into the same issue, considering that the lights have been on the market for a while now.