GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlight Upgrade

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Golfy - outstanding post and finally somebody that understands it.

To answer Jim's question, halogens are in the 2700-3000k range (k being kelvin), HIDs are in the 4300k range and LEDs in the 5000-5500k range.

The Acura TSX is known to have some of the best headlights around - it has HID low beams and halogen high beams. Why? Because of how the brain processes light.
I’ve been comparing my last 13-14 years worth of car lights to our 08 TSX and not really compares to its crispness. My wife is still annoyed that I got rid of that car on her.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I’ve been comparing my last 13-14 years worth of car lights to our 08 TSX and not really compares to its crispness. My wife is still annoyed that I got rid of that car on her.

Some older headlights with an LED "bulb" retro fitting will be way better than many of the new lights out the factory.

Car headlights have been around for over 100yrs, & so have the basics of light shape, beam angle, colour temp, lumen output, power consumption, glare, ...so why are companies still getting it wrong???....

Easy.....fashion, marketing, & maximising profit....

cb1111

@cb1111 I'm not against the science and I believe it. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I'll be able to read better with bulbs of a lower K rating. Also I believe you have a perceived viewpoint that my whole house is lit up like daylight and that's not the case. For instance I'm sitting in my recliner typing this on an Android tablet and on the end table beside me is a desk lamp with 6000K LED bulbs.
Just one last comment before we get back on track.

If you need cataract surgery (and it is likely that you do) then you're going to be very surprised when you get it done. My mom says she should have had it done far earlier. But the blue lights aren't helping your vision.

Please get the surgery done earlier rather than later.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just one last comment before we get back on track.

If you need cataract surgery (and it is likely that you do) then you're going to be very surprised when you get it done. My mom says she should have had it done far earlier. But the blue lights aren't helping your vision.

Please get the surgery done earlier rather than later.
I definitely need the cataract surgery. It's in the works.

cb1111

We picked colors for rooms in our house before my mom's surgery - she was adamant about the colors in her room and we couldn't change her mind - we repainted right after her surgery when she saw the colors she picked. Her cataracts were this opaque brown - think a piece of glass that's been exposed to cigarette smoke for 50 years - a kind of yellow'ish brown