Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Ordered a "GTI" set !!

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I saw these on AliExpress a long time ago. Wonder if those work just as well.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I saw these on AliExpress a long time ago. Wonder if those work just as well.

Have a set. They work fine. A bit of a pain to install.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My set showed up yesterday! Will try to install this weekend and post a pic.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Have a set. They work fine. A bit of a pain to install.
I can't seem to find them on AliExpress anymore. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
You get them installed or take any pics of the process. Am on the fence about ordering a set.
Yes they are installed. I only took a completed photo. First side was a pain because I had to learn how to de-pin wires from the harness. So my result was first side took an hour. The other side took 10 minutes. It's easy once you know how the harness works.

ORE_PDX

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 Alltrack SE
Yes they are installed. I only took a completed photo. First side was a pain because I had to learn how to de-pin wires from the harness. So my result was first side took an hour. The other side took 10 minutes. It's easy once you know how the harness works.
Nice.

The Rocket kit come with a de-pining tool, or need anything specific for that?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Nice.

The Rocket kit come with a de-pining tool, or need anything specific for that?
Yea that is the kit I got, after hacking up the first side with the de-pin tool not working, I grabbed a very small precision sized flathead screwdriver. Just press down first at the metal on top of the plug near the tip and pull gently on the wire. When it moves a little change to the other metal spot halfway down on the harness plug. Push there and pull gently again on the wire and it will come out. I used the de-pin tool at first and pulled on the wire and ripped the wire right out because the metal tabs were not releasing. Then I had to dig the broken metal terminal end out of the harness with a dremel. At least now I know how the harness works lol. Only extra I used was heat shrink to insulate the wires better.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I want a 100% plug and play kit and I am leaning towards the Rocketwire kit but I saw this for half the price.

Has anyone tried this kit?
https://euroactiveretrofits.com/products/volkswagen-led-car-door-welcome-logo-shadow-lights

Haven’t installed them yet, but they look identical to these I just got off AliExpress for $4: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004970612899.html

I'd be willing to bet the actual light itself is the same between RocketWires, that EuroActiveRetrofit, and the AliExpress ones. The reason you pay for the RocketWires one is for the harness (which is 75% of the cost, compare buying just the harness vs. the harness and lights). The RocketWire harness has a male terminal on it that you plug the depinned wire into. It's hard to see since they're all low resolution pics, but look at the RocketWire harness, vs the others.

On the RocketWires one, you can see 3 wires coming out of the harness, the one male terminal and the 2 female ones that get plugged into the connector.

1676931587671.png

The EuroActive harness doesn't look like it has that male terminal. The pic of their harness shows 4 plugs (for the lights), and 8 terminals, not 12 as you'd expect if each plug had the 2 female \ 1 male terminal.

1676931740593.png

Same with the AliExpress one, it looks like only 2 wires\terminals per plug.

1676931813445.png

Now I could be completely wrong, and these could just be generic pictures of harness, or maybe just due to the pics\resolution it's hard to see. But from the pics alone, it doesn't look like the the EuroActiveRetrofit or the AliExpress one install the same as the RocketWires one.