GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaky thermostat housing questions...

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone tried using some radiator stop leak to mitigate the ridiculous leaking from the water pump/thermostat housing instead of constantly replacing them only to leak again months later in some cases? Also what is the best product for a system like ours that won't do any damage?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have not read of a single instance of radiator stop leak stopping the thermostat housing from leaking. Replacement has been the only solution. And it will pass a pressure test also. It Only leaks very slowly when driven. Usually staining is the only way to tell that it's been leaking.

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
I have not read of a single instance of radiator stop leak stopping the thermostat housing from leaking. Replacement has been the only solution. And it will pass a pressure test also. It Only leaks very slowly when driven. Usually staining is the only way to tell that it's been leaking.
Understood. Would Putin's Ashes stop the leak?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I read on an FB group that supposedly someone is developing a metal replacement.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I believe there is a for the MK6 or MK5 but definitely not the MK7.

That is correct. Supposedly someone is developing one for our platform.. I'll believe it when I see, but I guess it's a start.

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Mine has gone from max to min in about a year and covering about 7k miles.
So maybe 8-10 oz lost? Not terrible but annoying as hell on such an otherwise great car. I am really hesitant letting any dealer shop
touch my car. Might look into seeing if a certified independent can be allowed to do warranty work when I want to pull the trigger.