GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaky Sunroof?

David MKVII

So as I live in BC where we get a lot of rain, but I didn't think that would be a problem with a brand new car!

Driving to work this morning water starting dripping onto my right hand and onto the console by the shifter and the various buttons (fudge).

Headline under the sun visor is damp to touch now too. Waiting for the stealership to call me back to get the car in. One of the reasons I bought the car was for build qualify and durability, which after only 10k kms is lacking.

Sorry. Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Not a rant. A just response to an issue I wouldn't be very happy with either. While not in the world of MB/BMW build quality, that is unacceptable. Hopefully it's just an improperly seated seal for the sunroof. I'd make sure they also clean up the mess so you don't have to worry about molding if the water got into your headliner.

donp

Ready to race!
This is one of the reasons I bought an S, no sunroof. Most likely the drain tubes got clogged with crap and now it's seeping through the headliner. FYI, ALL sunroofs leak. It's a matter if they're draining out properly.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
So as I live in BC where we get a lot of rain, but I didn't think that would be a problem with a brand new car!

Driving to work this morning water starting dripping onto my right hand and onto the console by the shifter and the various buttons (fudge).

Headline under the sun visor is damp to touch now too. Waiting for the stealership to call me back to get the car in. One of the reasons I bought the car was for build qualify and durability, which after only 10k kms is lacking.

Sorry. Rant over.

Not all dealerships are bad. I had a dealer cover the cost of a ticket I received because of them not putting the correct plate on the rear of my car.

I am partially to blame for not checking but the manager offered to cover the cost of the ticket.

David MKVII

Bit of an update. Car was back in the dealership last week and couldn't find the leak. Last night on my way home from work the leak started and then this morning it started again...

David MKVII

The dealership have done a temporary fix until the parts come in for the sunroof. Not sure exactly what the issue was as the service guys had left by the time I got back to the dealership to pick the car up. No issues since last Friday so far.

UtopianSnucka

The dealership have done a temporary fix until the parts come in for the sunroof. Not sure exactly what the issue was as the service guys had left by the time I got back to the dealership to pick the car up. No issues since last Friday so far.

Hey there David, I am encountering what seems to be an identical issue as the one you are describing here - those pics of the leaks might as well have been taken in my car. I already had mine in, as the ceiling above the front passenger seat was soaked after a heavy rain, and they said it was due to the sunroof drainage lines not being connected properly. They addressed that, but I am still getting drips/leaks out of the right side buttons of the ceiling console and occasional dampness in the ceiling up near where the windshield meets it on the passenger side.

I was wondering what VW fixed/what the issue ended up being per your service records from the recent visit?

David MKVII

Hey there David, I am encountering what seems to be an identical issue as the one you are describing here - those pics of the leaks might as well have been taken in my car. I already had mine in, as the ceiling above the front passenger seat was soaked after a heavy rain, and they said it was due to the sunroof drainage lines not being connected properly. They addressed that, but I am still getting drips/leaks out of the right side buttons of the ceiling console and occasional dampness in the ceiling up near where the windshield meets it on the passenger side.

I was wondering what VW fixed/what the issue ended up being per your service records from the recent visit?

Coincidentally I just got the leaky sunroof fixed today along with a service. Here's the description and part number from my invoice. Hope this solves your issue too as it annoyed the hell out of me when it rained.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Coincidentally I just got the leaky sunroof fixed today along with a service. Here's the description and part number from my invoice. Hope this solves your issue too as it annoyed the hell out of me when it rained.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Glad to see someone got a resolution for this. Mine leaks through the passenger visor light as well. Guess I have to stop in to the dealer and get it fixed. Was hoping it was just a clogged drain tube

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I noticed two different leaks today. Leading edge of headliner is damp above rear view mirror and continues over to sun visor mounts. The second area (and wettest) is where the A-pillar meets the roof. Both on driver side. It's clearly a warranty issue, but would like to do my best to figure out the source before letting them rip stuff apart.....

Does this sound like a sunroof or windshield issue?

Thanks

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I noticed two different leaks today. Leading edge of headliner is damp above rear view mirror and continues over to sun visor mounts. The second area (and wettest) is where the A-pillar meets the roof. Both on driver side. It's clearly a warranty issue, but would like to do my best to figure out the source before letting them rip stuff apart.....

Does this sound like a sunroof or windshield issue?

Thanks
Did some poking around yesterday and found why it leaks. The inner gasket when you open the sunroof does not seal in where it slides into the slot to locate it. When the water reservoir fills up because the drains can't keep up, it leaks through where the gasket is pressed into the groove and then through slots where there are snap to locate the headliner, then leaks into the car right above the mirror.

I found this then promptly cancelled my service appointment because it seems like something I can fix myself with liquid gasket.

Open your sunroof and pour a lot of water into the reservoir where the drains are, then watch the inside edge of the gasket to see where it leaks through the slots. I will upload some pictures after I get home from work

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Did some poking around yesterday and found why it leaks. The inner gasket when you open the sunroof does not seal in where it slides into the slot to locate it. When the water reservoir fills up because the drains can't keep up, it leaks through where the gasket is pressed into the groove and then through slots where there are snap to locate the headliner, then leaks into the car right above the mirror.

I found this then promptly cancelled my service appointment because it seems like something I can fix myself with liquid gasket.

Open your sunroof and pour a lot of water into the reservoir where the drains are, then watch the inside edge of the gasket to see where it leaks through the slots. I will upload some pictures after I get home from work

That would be much appreciated! I'm just in the early stages of diagnosing mine. I went out and opened the sunroof to view the seal. So what you're saying is that instead of water coming in between the seal and the roof/glass, it's coming in under the seal itself? The only reason I even noticed the leak is because 1 single drop of water landed on my hand while I was driving to work this morning.

Edit:
I was able to go out and locate the drains. My commute consists of extremely steep hills. I'm wondering if that causes the water to pool away from the drains. My gut is telling me that mine only leaks while I'm driving. It's been raining non-stop and I park outside. If it were a constant leak, I think my interior would have been soaked this morning.

Last edited: