GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking water pump MK7 GTI2016

flip7

Ready to race!
Reading this forum, seems that water pumps on GTIs are known to be short lived.... :(

Does anyone know if there is any recall or extended warranty offered by VW for such failures? I have 47K Miles on it.

How much does typically cost to replace a failed water pump?

TYA

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Replaced mine @ 46K. No recalls I know of, just one of those things you need to eventually replace. You can buy a new OE unit from FCP Euro (with a lifetime warranty) for $448 (or a OEM unit for $718).
Local independent installer wanted $1400 installed (w/parts). I thought that was steep and did it myself. Took 2 days and a week later I still had issues 😂.
But whatever you do DO NOT use StopLeak or any kind of radiator leak fix. Just made everything worse (thus issues I had 2 weeks after the install).

Last edited:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Reading this forum, seems that water pumps on GTIs are known to be short lived.... :(

Does anyone know if there is any recall or extended warranty offered by VW for such failures? I have 47K Miles on it.

How much does typically cost to replace a failed water pump?

TYA
If your water pump doesn’t leak I
Would leave it alone. It may last another 47k miles.

gdub09

Ready to race!
They leak, its common. They're super easy to replace it takes like 2-3hrs. You can do it from underneath or as I like to do, remove the intake manifold to do it. Usually its the thermostat housing, not the water pump, that leaks. All you need is an intake manifold gasket, t-stat housing w/ gasket, water pump gasket (if you get just housing), union to cooler, & coolant.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
They leak, its common. They're super easy to replace it takes like 2-3hrs. You can do it from underneath or as I like to do, remove the intake manifold to do it. Usually its the thermostat housing, not the water pump, that leaks. All you need is an intake manifold gasket, t-stat housing w/ gasket, water pump gasket (if you get just housing), union to cooler, & coolant.
If you remove the manifold clean the valves “while you are in there”

flip7

Ready to race!
I saw some suggesting to remove just throttle body from undrneath, is this idea something I should entertain? I have a VCDS to run adaptation as per svc. manual.
In theory I can remove the intake manifold entirely as I have a new gasket for it. Never did valve cleaning need to do some searching around. Can you recommend some instructions to follow?

seems like one needs to dismantle half of the car to get to 6 screws holding thermostat and pump to the engine block.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I saw some suggesting to remove just throttle body from undrneath, is this idea something I should entertain? I have a VCDS to run adaptation as per svc. manual.
In theory I can remove the intake manifold entirely as I have a new gasket for it. Never did valve cleaning need to do some searching around. Can you recommend some instructions to follow?

seems like one needs to dismantle half of the car to get to 6 screws holding thermostat and pump to the engine block.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-carbon-clean-walnut-blast-intake-valves-mk7-gti

Covers walnut blasting and scraping.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Hoping mine starts leaking soon while I still have CPO coverage 😆
Seems like a great idea. Had mine replaced under power train. From what I’ve been told, some techs can sneak them, i don’t know if this is true, and it will still leak. Mine was done 10,000 miles ago and about a year and half. I suddenly have a lower coolant level and hope it’s not another housing, but will take care of it if need be.

flip7

Ready to race!
Okay, so I got it done as DIY - Had to do it twice though. :devilish:
I did remove the intake manifold to get access to thermostat and pump and left the throttle body on the intake manifold.
I also removed the FAN assembly to get a bit more room to work with. That is a 5 task BTW.

The first time I ended up with a huge leak, most likely because the union which goes to the oil cooler was improperly set... I found this, only at the end, at 11:30 at night. :cry: after I put everything together.
Second time taking it apart and putting back on, I did test the cooling circuit by creating a vacuum in the system, before putting intake manifold and all other guts back - just the thermostat and water pump put in place.
I strongly recommend this step which I did not see mentioned somewhere else. BTW - I did use the instructions from the DAP youtube video.

I can say that I can do it again in ~4hrs if I ever have to do it again, but is quite laborious process.
Most of everything is so tight and in the way of something you need access to. Patience and attention are your friend.

Make sure you do not break any electrical connector in the process, as there are a lot you need to touch.

What I would do different next time is to wash with a water hose the engine from all the coolant you will spill in the process of removing hoses/ thermostat. This will allow you to see if coolant leak is fixed or you are observing coolant dripping from the engine block.

I will keep observing mine in the days to come but for now appears there is no leak.

FWIW my OEM thermostat revision was 'H' and the new one purchased from DAP was 'P' Before soon, they will be running out of alphabet letters for Rev # on this part. Whoever designed it wanted a secure job :)

Good luck!

flip7

Ready to race!
I just replaced one for a friend on his 2017 GTI, car had about 74k on it.

Pretty common leak, for someone with a decent amount of experience and a good set of hand tools it shouldn't take more than 3 hours start to finish.
I think 3 hrs is achievable by someone who does this day in and day out.
I can probable do it in 4 hrs if I ever have to do again (did it twice because of a goofy mistake BTW). But for a first time DIY & inclined person - I would say 6hrs is more realistic.

flip7

Ready to race!
Replaced mine @ 46K. No recalls I know of, just one of those things you need to eventually replace. You can buy a new OE unit from FCP Euro (with a lifetime warranty) for $448 (or a OEM unit for $718).
Local independent installer wanted $1400 installed (w/parts). I thought that was steep and did it myself. Took 2 days and a week later I still had issues 😂.
But whatever you do DO NOT use StopLeak or any kind of radiator leak fix. Just made everything worse (thus issues I had 2 weeks after the install).
I'd be curious to hear your story on it