GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaded Fuel.. what damage can it cause??

Hi, if anyone have valueable information on leaded fuel I need some help here. I know that our cars owner manaul says a big NO to Leaded fuels but I would like to know if this is only because of the catalytic converter?

So what I basicly want to know if there is other parts that will also be damaged or get affected expect the catalytic converter witch is not even there anymore because of the downpipe?

Here on my side of the world be can buy Afgass witch is 100 octane Leaded Fuel... some people say we can use it for race fuel some say no it wil cause damage to the engine etc.

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Leaded fuel is also really bad for the injectors in our cars. No big deal if you are using Avgas in a carbureted V8, but terrible if you have a direct-injected turbo.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
It will wreck the cat. Or than that it should be fine. A member on the MK5 forums ran AV Gas for like 2 years without issues. I'm a commercially licensed pilot (though I don't do it anymore) but I was at the airport a lot and 100LL sure was tempting since I had a catless DP.

It will wreck the cat. Or than that it should be fine. A member on the MK5 forums ran AV Gas for like 2 years without issues. I'm a commercially licensed pilot (though I don't do it anymore) but I was at the airport a lot and 100LL sure was tempting since I had a catless DP.

Shot.... that is where we also buy it from... the airport and its quite cheap also... think i might give it a try...

Dspl1236

Passed Driver's Ed
Can kill o2 sensors. I had a sensor die after 1 tank mixed with 2 gal Cam2 110 leaded mixed with 93, and a 2nd tank of 93 mixed with 2 gal c16 on the dyno. About a week later my rear o2 died and spent a month at the dealer getting it warrantied with a turbo...on my gen3 GLI.

Can kill o2 sensors. I had a sensor die after 1 tank mixed with 2 gal Cam2 110 leaded mixed with 93, and a 2nd tank of 93 mixed with 2 gal c16 on the dyno. About a week later my rear o2 died and spent a month at the dealer getting it warrantied with a turbo...on my gen3 GLI.

What does the o2 sensor have to do with the Turbo claim? I also heard about o2 sensors dying because of the lead.. mmm so i guess its best not to try it then?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Does it clog the injectors or damage them? Maybe one can run injector cleaner aditive with it to give a bit protection to the injectors?
My understanding is it damages them.

The problem with lead and O2 sensors is that the lead can coat the sensor, resulting in incorrect readings. The engine can run with a A/F ratio that is wildly out of spec.