GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control RPM (MK7 Golf R)

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Hey all,

I am dialing in my 19' R launch control RPM with EQT tune. I have found that anything over 3500rpm with the mods and power I am running results in slip/a less than graceful launch. Around 3500rpm can be hit and miss, whereas 3000-3300rpm always launches perfectly.

Is there much, if any, measurable difference between a clean launch at 3200rpm and a clean launch at 3500rpm? I am sure for 0-60ft times it makes a difference, but for 0-60mph or a quarter mile run, is the difference negligible?

Thanks!

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I can't even tell the difference on my gauge cluster between a difference of 200 rpm's. Is this for a DSG?

I'm launching higher than that when I take off for a Autocross run, probably 4,000-4,500 and it's a grab and go. I've never launched the car when not on 200tw tires though.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
I can't even tell the difference on my gauge cluster between a difference of 200 rpm's. Is this for a DSG?

I'm launching higher than that when I take off for a Autocross run, probably 4,000-4,500 and it's a grab and go. I've never launched the car when not on 200tw tires though.
DSG, yes.

On my old Uni Stage 1 tune 4k launch worked great on my Michelin PS 4 All Season tires. I am now EQT Stage 2 + E30, same tires (don't worry, I will be using Michelin PS4 summers when it gets warm again). I am going to get a custom DSG file for launch points and am trying to decide if I should play it "safe" and just get 3200rpm file or do a 3200rpm/3500rpm file (3200 at 100% pedal, 3500 at kickdown engaged).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
You gotta test and figure it out with your setup, really depends on your torque curve, tires and surface. Sounds like you already have though, so do 3200 + 3500@kickdown?

It will definitely make a difference, you should get a dragy and determine just how much.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
You gotta test and figure it out with your setup, really depends on your torque curve, tires and surface. Sounds like you already have though, so do 3200 + 3500@kickdown?

It will definitely make a difference, you should get a dragy and determine just how much.
How many launches can be reasonable done within a certain time period without abusing the DSG too much?
The reason I ask a lot about launch control questions is because I don't want to test it too much and cause issues, so trying to gather as much info beforehand as I can.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you just use the stock launch control in the R what RPM does the car set if you just floor it with your foot on the brake with a DSG?