GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch control: Need pointers

Should I drop the clutch

• Go ahead, who cares. There are plenty of engines out there if you need a new one.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Go ahead, it won't hurt anything

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Rebuild your engine and then go ahead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pay to play. Probably OK but maybe not

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Don't go there. The engine will grenade at some point for sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Running the DKM Twin Disc and EqT turbo with a tune from Ed.

Tried a launch and got a little of the burnt clutch smell. I wasn't perceptibly slipping, nor was I slow. I released the clutch to where I felt very minimal engagement and then, while not truly dumping it, released the rest of the way very quickly

Talked to DKM, and they say I should just "drop" the clutch, that it can take it . Advised me though the shock to the drive train would be severe. I thought our engines are tough enough.

Comments/instructions welcome. The poll is for entertainment purposes only:sneaky:

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
The way you launched is how I also launch in my R, and the only successful way I've found.
If I drop the clutch completely, the car bogs. If I release too slowly, I just burn clutch.
The slight burned clutch smell is normal - you're slipping the clutch a little bit to get a smooth launch, which is burning a tiny bit. Perfectly okay to do, but you'll wear the clutch a bit more quickly than you would if you never launched at all.

What RPM were you launching?

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
I'm a dummy and didn't realize Cobb had enabled LC for manual transmissions. I thought you were just talking about self-launching the car :(
If you haven't, you should try just dropping the clutch completely and seeing if LC will allow it. Your driveline will experience more shock, but it can handle it.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Running the DKM Twin Disc and EqT turbo with a tune from Ed.

Tried a launch and got a little of the burnt clutch smell. I wasn't perceptibly slipping, nor was I slow. I released the clutch to where I felt very minimal engagement and then, while not truly dumping it, released the rest of the way very quickly

Talked to DKM, and they say I should just "drop" the clutch, that it can take it . Advised me though the shock to the drive train would be severe. I thought our engines are tough enough.

Comments/instructions welcome. The poll is for entertainment purposes only:sneaky:

At first I would do 5500 rpm clutch drops. I also have a DKM Twin Disk (14k and many launches, still going strong) and a United Motorsport ECU tune with Launch Control and No Lift Shifting.

However, when I went to the track I had some issues with wheel hop. I felt that launching at 5000 rpm and some slip at the beginning was better. I had consistent 1.8 60fts with some 1.7's also. I'm still tinkering though...

Here is a video when I was doing the 5500 clutch drops...the 'farts' you hear is the no lift shift.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Also...slipping the clutch may wear down the clutch faster but dropping it and causing that drive-train shock could break something. Bryce Jordan (see his YouTube Channel) snapped an axle on his MK7 6MT at the track, but it's not common I would say.

I feel safer slipping it at 5k. I may try 4500 but the lower rpms seem to make the car bog.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
You have to play around with the different LC rpms and loads depending on the surface traction.

Try 4500 rpm and increase the load (or whatever it’s called...don’t remember the exact term Cobb uses). Also, don’t dump the clutch.....you need an aggressive slip.