GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Latest “Disable Auto Stop/Start” Thread

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because of the nag screen on the MFI. Doesn't bother me any.
That only occurs once and doesn't happen again until you turn the car on and off. Just once each key cycle. And even then it's brief. People can try it and reconnect it if they choose.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
That only occurs once and doesn't happen again until you turn the car on and off. Just once each key cycle. And even then it's brief. People can try it and reconnect it if they choose.
Just not as OEM as some would like. I personally prefer to have no errors of any kind pop up on my dash regardless of the duration. For 25 bucks it seems like a no brainer choice and is the best in my opinion to keep it factory like.

Sami4sunday

Car(s)
Lexus IS 350
Just not as OEM as some would like. I personally prefer to have no errors of any kind pop up on my dash regardless of the duration. For 25 bucks it seems like a no brainer choice and is the best in my opinion to keep it factory like.
I’ll second that. I prefer to keep it as OEM as possible with zero errors. Though JimLloyd’s is an excellent fix, just a personal preference I guess. Found one for $15 at AE, I’ll share my experience after I order/install.

Medusa2021

Car(s)
GTI
I still don't understand why people just don't disconnect it from the battery.

This topic is well beyond my level of expertise, however I’ll link the below in case anyone is interested

Quoting from user, dv52 over in the ODB11 forums,

“hmmm.......... you are not the first to have discovered this method but I would suggest that the short term gain (being the removal of SS) does indeed come with a long term cost.

For your method to work without affecting any other facility in the car, the Battery monitor control module (it's called J367)would need to do nothing else but SS. This is not the case!

J367 is involved in measuring the battery condition for a host of other purposes including providing data to the car for the calculation for the alternator charging profile - which changes with age, usage and condition. The car stores the complete battery history - meaning that it monitors every ampere that either leaves the battery, or is injected into the battery (i.e. by the alternator, or by the recuperation system). This data is used over the life cycle for the battery to optimize its longevity. It's J367 that is does much of the data provision for this data and disconnecting the module WILL impact battery life-alas.

I hate SS with a vengeance; I think it's the most dangerous facility in a car and I want it removed from any car that I drive - but I wouldn't suggest that J367 is removed because of the long term consequences. Install a automated switch instead

Don”

Page two, about halfway down,

https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/6296/start-stop-system-deactivation?page=2

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This topic is well beyond my level of expertise, however I’ll link the below in case anyone is interested

Quoting from user, dv52 over in the ODB11 forums,

“hmmm.......... you are not the first to have discovered this method but I would suggest that the short term gain (being the removal of SS) does indeed come with a long term cost.

For your method to work without affecting any other facility in the car, the Battery monitor control module (it's called J367)would need to do nothing else but SS. This is not the case!

J367 is involved in measuring the battery condition for a host of other purposes including providing data to the car for the calculation for the alternator charging profile - which changes with age, usage and condition. The car stores the complete battery history - meaning that it monitors every ampere that either leaves the battery, or is injected into the battery (i.e. by the alternator, or by the recuperation system). This data is used over the life cycle for the battery to optimize its longevity. It's J367 that is does much of the data provision for this data and disconnecting the module WILL impact battery life-alas.

I hate SS with a vengeance; I think it's the most dangerous facility in a car and I want it removed from any car that I drive - but I wouldn't suggest that J367 is removed because of the long term consequences. Install a automated switch instead

Don”

Page two, about halfway down,

https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/6296/start-stop-system-deactivation?page=2
Well it's been working fine for over 140,000 miles. The dealer thought it was a clever way to disable it also. And your link is just another forum.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Well it's been working fine for over 140,000 miles. The dealer thought it was a clever way to disable it also. And your link is just another forum.
Yes, but Don @DV52 is a member here and in the Ross-Tech VCDS forum as well. I think most of the tweaks out there can be attributed to him, or some sort of collaboration between him and other members. I was going to do the cable, but for $25 shipped and no light/error/action required from me it was a no brainer.

Also, the charging systems on newer cars are a little too brainy for me. I'm OLD, so I'm used to see the charging needle close to 14VDC, the fact that my last 3 cars had the needle fluctuating between 12-14VDC drive me nuts. When I used to see 12 before I knew I had an issue that needed attention. This time, my 2018 Silverado left me stranded with a bad battery on a vehicle less than 2 yrs old.

With that said, I think that by removing that wire the car may act more like an old system and charge all the time till it reaches the battery limit set by the computer. In your case you had no problem, but in some other car it may wear the alternator or over charge the battery. There is no consistency in the manufacturing of this car anymore. Ever since they were move the production from GE to other places the quality has gone down.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@Maiden69: many thanks for your kind words!

I have had this debate about the removal of J367 as a way of disabling SS a few times now on various forums. For those devotees of this methodology, the process seems to be more of a religion than it is an exact science based on the material provided by VW about Energy Management Systems (EMS) in modern cars.

I have no problem (what so ever) with the personal conviction of those who maintain that unplugging the primary sensor for the car's entire EMS has no other impact (other than disabling SS) - I just happen to not agree.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter (to me at least) - my objective is not to convince anyone of my views- I'm simply providing advice. Mercifully, this matter is NOT like a safety issue for other drivers - the ultimate effects of unplugging J367 solely rest with the owner of the car - no one else is involved!!

As for your comment about the charging behavior on modern cars - I share your view (i'm old too - there are very few folk that I can't call "young"). BUT (and there is always a "but"), MQB platform vehicles that have J367 modules installed have sophisticated EMSs - which include energy re-recuperation from regenerative braking systems and they use more advanced battery technology like AGM/EFB. Simply treating this new technology as if it wasn't installed in the car (and therefore doesn't need the sensor for the attendant management processes) is ...........well a tad naive (IMHO, of course). I'm aware that you don't adhere to this policy- I just wanted to make this closing point!!

Don

Last edited:

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I used Carista to turn it off on my 2018 GTI. Worked great. The Start-Stop System was disabled no matter what you did with the button. I set it back to normal operation with Carista.
The update re-flash of my APR Plus tune I had done yesterday reversed the operation. The Car starts with it disabled and stays off unless you press the button to enable it. It reverts to OFF every time you start the car.

I don't think the VW MK8 version allows customizations at this time.

Last edited:

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
I have a 2021 S and I bought an OBD11 and a friend of mine disabled the start/stop feature.

Sami4sunday

Car(s)
Lexus IS 350
Received the harness today. $15 AliExpress. 5min install. Worked perfectly & instantaneously on start up 👍

Attachments

• C10E1E01-1285-4951-AF99-C27666B7CE87.jpeg
    C10E1E01-1285-4951-AF99-C27666B7CE87.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I installed an AliExpress harness last night. Once I figured out how to pop the switches out, it was very easy. The module removes the start/stop error on the MFI and disables the start/stop function. However, I cannot enable it again. I get a start/stop error when enabling it. I have the wire to the battery plugged in and I coded the voltage to 7.8V. There must be some other code I changed that needs to be returned to the OEM setting. Any ideas?