GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Latest “Disable Auto Stop/Start” Thread

Sami4sunday

Car(s)
Lexus IS 350
I recently bought a 2021 GTI SE and so far she drives like a dream. The folks at VW of course had to kill that dream by insisting on not giving us an option to permanently disengage the auto stop/start feature.

What is the easiest / cost effective way to solve this problem? Soldering my own electrical harness or buying one for $199 or so seem far fetched. Any easy DIY will be very much appreciated.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
There are wiring harness for around $20-40 in Amazon and AliExpress. I bought one from AliE, since the OBDEleven tweak don't work on 2020+ cars.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
There are wiring harness for around $20-40 in Amazon and AliExpress. I bought one from AliE, since the OBDEleven tweak don't work on 2020+ cars.
Can you post a link to one of those in Amazon? I have a 2020 and ever since I got the car wanted to disable the pesky Start/Stop function.

Sami4sunday

Car(s)
Lexus IS 350
Perfection. Thank You Maiden69. I’ll order from AE. Since you installed one, anything worth mentioning on the install? I found this video on a 2018, seems straightforward. I’m hoping it’s no different for a 2021.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I recently bought a 2021 GTI SE and so far she drives like a dream. The folks at VW of course had to kill that dream by insisting on not giving us an option to permanently disengage the auto stop/start feature.
lol that's a little overdramatic

has any car manufacturer offered an easy way to permanently disable auto start/stop?
from my experience: VW, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, Jaguar, Mazda....all of them require you push the button every time you start it back up

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I didn't even try to remove the buttons. All I did was remove the plug from the bottom of the assembly, connect the through harness, and using an L shaped plier and my hand plugged it back in. Took me 5 minutes. The way he did it is easier, since he shows where the clips are. I had no idea and didn't feel like trying to figure them out, as it was not that hard the way I did it.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
lol that's a little overdramatic

has any car manufacturer offered an easy way to permanently disable auto start/stop?
from my experience: VW, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, Jaguar, Mazda....all of them require you push the button every time you start it back up
No sir, Mazda does not. That is not a feature that comes on Mazdas at all, at least not on 2021 Mazda 3 Hatchbacks. It is nice not having to turn it off every time like I have to in my GTI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

What is the easiest / cost effective way to solve this problem? Soldering my own electrical harness or buying one for $199 or so seem far fetched. Any easy DIY will be very much appreciated.
Since you asked for the easiest and fastest way to disable start/stop just disconnect it from the side of the battery if that's where it still is on a 2021. You will get a pop up message just one time when you come to your first stop that won't happen again until you turn the car off and back on again. My 18 SE has been disconnected like that since I bought it.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
No sir, Mazda does not. That is not a feature that comes on Mazdas at all, at least not on 2021 Mazda 3 Hatchbacks. It is nice not having to turn it off every time like I have to in my GTI.
Plenty of Mazdas have the "i-stop" feature, including the Mazda 3's

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
You can't just press the button to turn it off after starting the car? Its part of my car-starting ritual I guess; start car, put on seatbelt, turn off start/stop, set air-con/heat, drive away.

This seems like a lot of effort to go through when you have to press a button (once) that's right next to something you are interacting with anyways

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can't just press the button to turn it off after starting the car? Its part of my car-starting ritual I guess; start car, put on seatbelt, turn off start/stop, set air-con/heat, drive away.

This just seems like a lot of effort to go through when you just have to press a button that's right next to something you are interacting with anyways
Yes he can. He wants to eliminate having to do that. I still don't understand why people just don't disconnect it from the battery.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
at least you don't have a mk8 where you (probably) have to go through 7 screens to turn it off, like the traction control