GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Late shifting in hot weather

sambicus

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I live in Dubai and it gets really hot in the summer here, i got my car in January so it wasn’t boiling hot like it is now.

Car stays on 1st gear going past 3000rpm then shifts, then the second goes past 3000rpm, and so on. it does the same when downshifting, it downshifts very early. Sp the rpm stays high as it’s stuck on sports mode, even when it’s on eco

Is anyone seeing late shifting in hot weather like 47c oil temp is around 107c

I have a video but I don’t know how to share it here

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
What's the benefit of this? I'm curious.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Normal. Folks in Phoenix know this.

We sure do. Once the temperature exceeds 107 the DSG upshifts about 7-8 MPH higher for each gear than normal. In city driving it's a hassle because it's revving higher to say drive 45 MPH in 4th gear when it would have normally uoshifted to 5th at that speed. So I'm constantly pushing the lever to manual and shift to 5th and then pull the shifter back to drive.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
What's the benefit of this? I'm curious.

Mybe so the water pump can move more water?

More rpm, more cooling... same heat/energy/fuel...

edit: there is also the oil cooler and the oil itself (more pressure) has a cooling effect with the jets spraying the pistons/rods, etc....

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
We sure do. Once the temperature exceeds 107 the DSG upshifts about 7-8 MPH higher for each gear than normal. In city driving it's a hassle because it's revving higher to say drive 45 MPH in 4th gear when it would have normally uoshifted to 5th at that speed. So I'm constantly pushing the lever to manual and shift to 5th and then pull the shifter back to drive.
Weird I've never noticed it at all, I'll pay attention to it the next couple of days,

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Odd. My 2019 GTI DSG doesnt do this. Shifts at 2k RPM consistently in normal mode from memory.

I do have a Unitronic ECU and TCU tune. I'll pay closer attention to this tomorrow if i run out.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I assume it does this because it's kicking fans/pumps/AC on at a high level. The extra load means it shifts a bit higher just like it would if you were going up a hill.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Odd. My 2019 GTI DSG doesnt do this. Shifts at 2k RPM consistently in normal mode from memory.

I do have a Unitronic ECU and TCU tune. I'll pay closer attention to this tomorrow if i run out.
Your TCU tune changes shifting points. It's gonna be different than stock programming.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Your TCU tune changes shifting points. It's gonna be different than stock programming.

I have a DSG tune and it does it with the tune also. Only above 107 degrees. It's obviously heat related and like others have said it's probably to assist in cooling.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If I lived where the outside Temp was 47c I would have an intercooler on a stock car. That would take car of heat problems and protects the motor too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So the coolant runs through the DSG housing? What kind of water temps do you guys see?

Unless you have an aftermarket temperature gauge you won't know the real temperature of the coolant. The MFD always says 200 and the digital display in the media center always says 194 degrees.