GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

large chip on edge of roof panel where the hatch opens

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I guess someone's crappy touch-up paint job came off because I found a fairly large chip on the edge of the roof panel where the hatch opens. It is down to bare metal. Will a good touch-up job including primer prevent this from rusting or does this kind of chip need a full respray? Also, is the roof panel between the sunroof and hatch a small piece or is it a part of the same panel the rear doors fit in? This seems like it might be a really expensive repair to have done professionally. Maybe I should use primer and touch-up then keep checking for rust every few months? Being on the edge appearance wise the chip will be easy to hide.

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I'd say it might be best to just cover it yourself with some colour match pens as long as it's not too big, might be worth getting a few estimates and seeing roughly what the cost would be, someone recently scuffed my front bumper and I was initially going to get it done at a body shop for £150 ($190) but in the end I had a go at touching it up myself, although its not perfect it's certainly a lot less noticeable.

My reason was that with it being on the front bumper there's always a chance it could get scuffed again and I'd be even more annoyed if I paid only for it to happen again, so as long as it's barely noticeable that will do for now or until I feel like getting it done properly, although this is probably different in your case seen as it's in an area that likely wouldn't usually get marked up.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I guess someone's crappy touch-up paint job came off because I found a fairly large chip on the edge of the roof panel where the hatch opens. It is down to bare metal. Will a good touch-up job including primer prevent this from rusting or does this kind of chip need a full respray? Also, is the roof panel between the sunroof and hatch a small piece or is it a part of the same panel the rear doors fit in? This seems like it might be a really expensive repair to have done professionally. Maybe I should use primer and touch-up then keep checking for rust every few months? Being on the edge appearance wise the chip will be easy to hide.

Apparently, this is "overblown" but... up to you.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55230&page=2

There's a reason there are actual coating experts/engineers who's job is to study and test the longevity of paint and how well they hold up in their applications.

Touch up paint is touch up (as long as it's a lacquer based) will never be as durable as a polyurethane. Solvents will take touch up right off. Some touch ups are more durable than others.

Also... if you can see bare metal... that means the missing paint chip has gone through the e-coat.

A good explanation on the e-coating process http://www.ppgindustrialcoatings.com/Technologies-Products/Electrical.aspx

As for will touch up work... yes. However, at the very least you need to make sure the touch up clear coat is UV resistant.

Using the Rust Bullet clear coat is no harder/worse than using a touch up clear. You still have to apply the color part of the touch up. Then apply the Rust Bullet clear over it.

KBS coatings also has a clear coat if you can't get Rust Bullet.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Apparently, this is "overblown" but... up to you.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55230&page=2

There's a reason there are actual coating experts/engineers who's job is to study and test the longevity of paint and how well they hold up in their applications.

Touch up paint is touch up (as long as it's a lacquer based) will never be as durable as a polyurethane. Solvents will take touch up right off. Some touch ups are more durable than others.

Also... if you can see bare metal... that means the missing paint chip has gone through the e-coat.

A good explanation on the e-coating process http://www.ppgindustrialcoatings.com/Technologies-Products/Electrical.aspx

As for will touch up work... yes. However, at the very least you need to make sure the touch up clear coat is UV resistant.

Using the Rust Bullet clear coat is no harder/worse than using a touch up clear. You still have to apply the color part of the touch up. Then apply the Rust Bullet clear over it.

KBS coatings also has a clear coat if you can't get Rust Bullet.

I got a quote from the only body shop I trust in town and it came out to about $700. This is the GTI I recently bought from Carvana, I submitted the estimate to their "warranty department" to see if they will cover it. If so I guess I will go ahead and do it although I really wanted to avoid a respray on such a new car. Otherwise I will probably try your method or something close to it. My main concern is how do you know you got rid of all the rust before doing the touch-up? I bought some Rust-Block that claims to protect bare metal for 1 year even without painting over it but that seems too good to be true for a product you simply brush on, let dry, then wash off.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I got a quote from the only body shop I trust in town and it came out to about $700. This is the GTI I recently bought from Carvana, I submitted the estimate to their "warranty department" to see if they will cover it. If so I guess I will go ahead and do it although I really wanted to avoid a respray on such a new car. Otherwise I will probably try your method or something close to it. My main concern is how do you know you got rid of all the rust before doing the touch-up? I bought some Rust-Block that claims to protect bare metal for 1 year even without painting over it but that seems too good to be true for a product you simply brush on, let dry, then wash off.

The panels are galvanised, there won’t be any rust unless you’ve gouged into the metal! In which case body work would be needed, but it doesn’t look like you’ve even gone through the base coat, I’m no paint guy but with care I could make that as good as disappear with touch up and polishing, if you’re set against a panel respray (as I would be) then it can be done with a ‘smart’ repair.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The panels are galvanised, there won’t be any rust unless you’ve gouged into the metal! In which case body work would be needed, but it doesn’t look like you’ve even gone through the base coat, I’m no paint guy but with care I could make that as good as disappear with touch up and polishing, if you’re set against a panel respray (as I would be) then it can be done with a ‘smart’ repair.

I am down to the bare metal. I would have posted a pic but I touched it up for now until I figure out what to do long term.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I am down to the bare metal. I would have posted a pic but I touched it up for now until I figure out what to do long term.

Has it gone through the galvanising though?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Has it gone through the galvanising though?

How do I know that? It was silver with some very light surface rust on the edges of the exposed area which I carefully scraped off. Then I cleaned the area with some paint prep wipes before coating it. As for looks if this doesn't get any worse the rear edge of the roof seems to be one of the least noticeable spots possible for a chip. I just wonder how the heck it got there in the first place.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
How do I know that? It was silver with some very light surface rust on the edges of the exposed area which I carefully scraped off. Then I cleaned the area with some paint prep wipes before coating it. As for looks if this doesn't get any worse the rear edge of the roof seems to be one of the least noticeable spots possible for a chip. I just wonder how the heck it got there in the first place.

The galvanization is very thin. If it's starting to rust... you've gone through that layer.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The galvanization is very thin. If it's starting to rust... you've gone through that layer.

In a few weeks, assuming I don't decide to get the panel repainted I'm going to remove the touch-up paint I did and check for more surface rust. If it looks good I'm going to try one of those rust inhibitor type primers where the metal is exposed then redo the touch-up and hope it lasts thru the winter.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
In a few weeks, assuming I don't decide to get the panel repainted I'm going to remove the touch-up paint I did and check for more surface rust. If it looks good I'm going to try one of those rust inhibitor type primers where the metal is exposed then redo the touch-up and hope it lasts thru the winter.

Use a rust killer product and you’ll be good.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Can you recommend an easy to use brush-on one that should work? I see many of them are a bit dangerous. There are A LOT of choices. Thanks.

I can’t personally recommend one specific product, but searching online should get reviews etc, any name brand product designed for this purpose will likely be okay.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Can you recommend an easy to use brush-on one that should work? I see many of them are a bit dangerous. There are A LOT of choices. Thanks.

Sorry man... been away from the forums due to moving.

So... the products I recommend (used on my own car) is Rust Bullet.

Now... on that note... you also have POR15, Master Series, and KBS Coating.

So if there is rust... I'd recommend using the Rust Bullet Automotive. Get the microbrushes (https://www.eastwood.com/touch-up-applicators-pack-40.html).

Or... if you want a lot... check amazon for microbrush (Example)

Anyways... use the microbrush to put a THIN layer of rust bullet on. Follow the instructions... then do a second coat.

After that... scuff it a little and apply touch up.

or....

scuff it a little and mix Rust Bullet Clear Shot (1/4 pint) (or their new product DuraCoat clear - call to see if they can do a 1/4 pint) with touch up paint from places like Automotivetouchup or whereever. I've do 6 drops clear... with 2 to 3 drops of touch up.

apply with the microbrush.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Sorry man... been away from the forums due to moving.

So... the products I recommend (used on my own car) is Rust Bullet.

Now... on that note... you also have POR15, Master Series, and KBS Coating.

So if there is rust... I'd recommend using the Rust Bullet Automotive. Get the microbrushes (https://www.eastwood.com/touch-up-applicators-pack-40.html).

Or... if you want a lot... check amazon for microbrush (Example)

Anyways... use the microbrush to put a THIN layer of rust bullet on. Follow the instructions... then do a second coat.

After that... scuff it a little and apply touch up.

or....

scuff it a little and mix Rust Bullet Clear Shot (1/4 pint) (or their new product DuraCoat clear - call to see if they can do a 1/4 pint) with touch up paint from places like Automotivetouchup or whereever. I've do 6 drops clear... with 2 to 3 drops of touch up.

apply with the microbrush.

Hey I've been off the forums a while but I just bought this Rust Bullet product off Amazon a few days ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002P4KM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was going to use it like a primer then apply the factory touch-up paint on top. Would that work?