GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KW or Bilstein? First suspension mod.

Pablo924

Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf R-line
I have some questions as this is going to be my first suspension modification ever, I hope someone can answer them. I own a 18´ Mk 7.5 Golf R-line.

First, I want to upgrade my suspension (non - DCC and multi link rear suspension). My objectives are to lower the car and better the handling for a mountain road use, also it is my daily car and currently I´m running the OEM sport suspension, therfore the ride quality is a touch stiffer than normal Golfs.
Therefore the conclusion I´ve come up to is to mount some bilstein B14 / B16. I,ve heard from a friend who has some B14´s that they aren´t harsh and are really compliant on a daily use, but on the other hand are great on fast changing corners for mountain use here at canary islands.

Is there a better option? Am I right in what i´ve been told?

Second, do I need any supporting mods when doing this upgrade? I don´t want to wear out unevenlly my tires because of any suspension geometry problem that might occur.

Third, I´m planning on getting for my next mod some 18x8´5 wheels, which are good to use on 225/40 tires. Probably some Pilot Sport 4.

This is my current ride height. I want a lower but functional setup. Thank you.
IMG_20200413_131500.jpg

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The B14 (PSS) would be a good all around option. Good for daily driving and good for spirited driving.
You do not necessarily need any supporting mods when installing coilovers.
As for your tire wear concern just make sure to have a proper alignment done after the suspension is installed.
If you are going with an 8.5 wheel in the future I would suggest a 235/40.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I neglected KW in my post. Between the two I'm not sure you would really find much difference.
However, the ST - STX coilover is basically a KW V1 just with a different coating on the shock body, and is usually a few hundred ($USD) cheaper.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
I had the KW V3's on my R and found them to be too soft for the platform. I'm looking at other options now.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Before you lower the car, is there any part of the road or daily driving that might pose an issue to driving, where you need to slow down to a snail's pace and drive over diagonally with a lowered car?

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
Your V3's were too soft? On the track? lol
You can probably just throw some Swift springs on them no?

Too soft of a spring rate. Not that simple to throw Swift springs on there. Decided to dump them and pick another set.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
I should have gone with these to begin with. Much better springs than the V series kit. The V3 springs are both progressive and rated at 205lbs/inch front and 325lbs/inch rear.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
rear sway bar won't lower your car obviously but it makes a massive improvement in the handling with minimal impact on ride quality.

If handling is a bigger priority than the look of lowering, I agree with this 100%. As good or better improvement at a fraction of the cost and virtually no reduction in ride harshness.

I use my car as a daily driver (46K miles) and ~ 10 track days per year. After APR stage 1, the rear sway was the best bang for the buck of any mods I've done.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I should have gone with these to begin with. Much better springs than the V series kit. The V3 springs are both progressive and rated at 205lbs/inch front and 325lbs/inch rear.
I have new parts from KW there special bearings and spring adapters to convert front progressive springs to
linear PM me if interested they work with any brand coilover and MQB oem or aftermarket top mount.

49830975797_528cbb723c_b.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2c4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2c7.jpeg
49830666391_9150d01cf4_z.jpg

Last edited:

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Too soft of a spring rate. Not that simple to throw Swift springs on there. Decided to dump them and pick another set.

I had the same issue. I wound up with swift springs. They helped a lot. Optimal? Probably not.

20200425_161723.jpg