GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Where are people purchasing their Koni Yellow's from? FCP Euro has them for $693 but it seems Koni has a 20% sale but I can't seem a place that has their sale and the Koni Yellow's available. Probably because they aren't on sale...Lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Where are people purchasing their Koni Yellow's from? FCP Euro has them for $693 but it seems Koni has a 20% sale but I can't seem a place that has their sale and the Koni Yellow's available. Probably because they aren't on sale...Lol
Browse around but a quick Google-fu revealed https://www.lmperformance.com/ sells the following:

Front - 8741-1572SPORT - $177.85 each
Rear - 8240-1297SPORT - $116.38 each

Total: $588.46

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
TireRack has them for a hair under $600. Thanks for this!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Browse around but a quick Google-fu revealed https://www.lmperformance.com/ sells the following:

Front - 8741-1572SPORT - $177.85 each
Rear - 8240-1297SPORT - $116.38 each

Total: $588.46

Thanks, I’m normally good with Google but I was looking for the part number that was on FCP’s site.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I bought mine at.rcagarage.com. Arrived in 2 days, around 162 each, no tax, with shipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-131147.png
    Screenshot_20200528-131147.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 100

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
BUMP!!! Anyone have some advice on which rear sway bar to go with? See below

TIA!

I got my yellows installed to pair with my Eibach Sportlines and they feel fantastic. I started them out at a half turn from full soft, a little too stiff for my daily commute with the Sportlines, but they still soaked up a lot of the minor road imperfections. I have since softened up the fronts to about 10% off full and will change the rears when I do a rear sway bar.

Now onto the rear sway bar. Softening up shocks has definitely added some body roll, but the ride is buttery smooth up front. I assume that when I soften up the rears it will add a bit more roll, so I'm wondering if there's a certain size RSB I should go with. 22-23mm or a 24-25mm bar. I will more than likely be adding Superpro rear links, though I've heard good things about the Moog links too. Any advice on the right size bar to reduce the body roll added from softening the shocks?

View attachment 174572

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
@bentin 's response is on the right path. I'd suggest something in the 24-25mm range. The bigger bars can be a bit much for many drivers. They can provoke oversteer pretty easily.
There's a significant difference in stiffness with an increase on diameter of just 1mm. I'd look up the formula, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment. Trust me on this.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
@bentin 's response is on the right path. I'd suggest something in the 24-25mm range. The bigger bars can be a bit much for many drivers. They can provoke oversteer pretty easily.
There's a significant difference in stiffness with an increase on diameter of just 1mm. I'd look up the formula, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment. Trust me on this.
True, I like oversteer, so don't mind the larger bars, but it's probably a good idea to gravitate a little smaller if you're not good with the back end coming out to say hi fairly often.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
BUMP!!! Anyone have some advice on which rear sway bar to go with? See below

TIA!
if it's for street only and you don't disable ESC, stiffer bars should be fine since the ESC should correct bad things....but take it easy in the rain.

if it's for ax or track, you're kind of on your own on this question. balancing the car could depend on spring rates, alignment and the front bar, in addition to your rear bar choice. In one setup I was able to create a very tail happy car with the stock GTI pp bar, thanks to spring and alignment.

Solid vs hollow matters well. conceptually, a 25mm hollow bar with 3mm wall thickness can be thought of as a 25mm solid bar (stiffness) minus a 19mm solid bar (stiffness). Thus the solid bar of same od should be noticeably stiffer.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I'm having a big problem with mine now. Lots of squeaks and at work (VW dealer) we put the car on the alignment rack to take a look. With the suspension unloaded we can grab the spring, slightly compress it by hand and spin it freely. Techs are saying the factory lower spring seats do not fit in the Koni lower mount. They're too short (?) so there's not enough tension on the spring and it's moving.

Have you guys heard of this? The springs are Eibach Sportlines. I've never head of this before. Going to reach out to both Eibach and Koni to see if they make bigger spring seats.

Edit: Could this possibly be if the strut is too low in the knuckle? I had one of our techs do the install so I didn't watch him

Edit 2: Just spoke to one of the master techs at Eibach and he said he thinks the new mount/bearing were not seated properly. Thoughts??????

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If your springs are too short, I suppose its possible you could move them on the perch at full droop.

I'm on stock GTI springs with Koni Yellows and its not an issue. No noise of any kind

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've run Koni Sports on my last 2 previous autocross cars and I'm getting ready to install them on the mk7.

Do not start in the middle, do the 1/4 from soft as Koni recommends for a start. The curve for adjustment is not linear. The first 50% of the adjustment range puts you at 80 to 90% of maximum dampening.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm having a big problem with mine now. Lots of squeaks and at work (VW dealer) we put the car on the alignment rack to take a look. With the suspension unloaded we can grab the spring, slightly compress it by hand and spin it freely. Techs are saying the factory lower spring seats do not fit in the Koni lower mount. They're too short (?) so there's not enough tension on the spring and it's moving.

Have you guys heard of this? The springs are Eibach Sportlines. I've never head of this before. Going to reach out to both Eibach and Koni to see if they make bigger spring seats.

Edit: Could this possibly be if the strut is too low in the knuckle? I had one of our techs do the install so I didn't watch him

Edit 2: Just spoke to one of the master techs at Eibach and he said he thinks the new mount/bearing were not seated properly. Thoughts??????

I did APR springs with stock struts. Had same issue. Mount/ bearing weren't seated correctly.

Last edited:

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I did APR springs with stock struts. Had ssme issue. Mount/ bearing weren't seated correctly.

That’s what I’ve determined. My service manager told me to order in new spring seats and they’ll take everything apart and reinstall