GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Just received my yellows. Are you guys doing an alignment for shocks only? Mine is already lowered and was just aligned two months with new tires. Just trying to plan out my install

View attachment 171122

re alignment - measure your ride height first.
after install, measure it again after.driving a bit.
if ride height doesn't change and you're only changing dampers, it's highly unlikely you'll need an alignment due to the change.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Never a good thing. I bit the bullet and got some Koni Special Actives. I live in Brooklyn. The streets can be a horror on some blocks and I liked what I read about their performance vs. Koni Yellow performance despite the lack of adjust ability. I'm not sure that will matter since they adjust themselves. ;-) I should have them in by next week.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you've got them fitted, considering them myself. :)

PRTYLCKY

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you've got them fitted, considering them myself. :)
What's up Baka. First off, I've only driven a max of 10 miles at a time. They're buttery smooth on some roads but at speed they will occasionally not bottom but sound close to it (currently on 35 series tires; not sure that can be helped on a Golf R). Despite that they're worlds smoother than stock dampers, the car handles extraordinarily well on the parkway(MUCH better on local streets too). It's just way easier to drive. It wasn't difficult before but I've been pushing it more as I drive and it's been pure pleasure. I drove street cars (70's and 80's Rx's) when I was younger so I'm accustomed to near zero body roll in a street car. The feeling with these combined with the Eibach Pro Springs is not that feeling. There's a little body roll in hard turns and it quickly settles and holds firmly through turns; give a little gas once passed the turn's apex and the car slingshots in a very controlled and predictable fashion. There are a couple of things I'm going to try to increase the car's ability to manage those harsh sharp bumps more smoothly. Ie: 45 series tires and likely a 245 width on 18's. I considered 17's but I just haven't seen any cars that sit right enough with 17x9's. I know 9's may be a lot by some people's opinion but although the car handles really well, more tire on the ground mean's more grip!!! I'm going to do a rear sway bar to eliminate most of the body roll. I just haven't decided on 24 or 26mm yet but afterwards, will provide another "User opinion" on the combination. If anyone that has tried both 24 and 26mm rear sways on an mk7R and is reading this, please share your experience with me.
Peace.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I considered 17's but I just haven't seen any cars that sit right enough with 17x9's.
17x9 +45 245/40 on Racingline Springs. Will try picking up a set of Euro Pro-Kit springs to raise it a bit. I went with the 25mm ST rear sway bar.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
17x9 +45 245/40 on Racingline Springs. Will try picking up a set of Euro Pro-Kit springs to raise it a bit. I went with the 25mm ST rear sway bar.

What wheels & offset are you using? Any clearance issues (especially on right rear)? I'm looking at the Neuspeed RSe16 17x8.5 +45 or comparable from Apex if that buy ever happens. A 255/40-17 RE71 is the biggest tire available in that diameter, and my understanding is that clearance is REALLY tight at that corner- I may have to shift the gas tank slightly to the left to clear.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Advanti Storm S1, 17x9 +45. Looks like they're slowly becoming discontinued with a nationwide back-order so grab 'em while you still can.

No clearance issues but I've been meaning to take a look again to see how much clearance I'll have back there if I choose to go 255 squared.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It looks like the Advanti Storm S1's are pretty much gone- I can't even find the brand listed on Tire Rack anymore. With the 245/40-17's, there should be no clearance issues. I had that size (RE71-R) on Enkei Fujin 17" x 7.5" on the rear with no clearance problems before I switched to 215/45-17 on the back.
You really have those tires stretched on 17"x9" rims!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
It looks like the Advanti Storm S1's are pretty much gone- I can't even find the brand listed on Tire Rack anymore. With the 245/40-17's, there should be no clearance issues. I had that size (RE71-R) on Enkei Fujin 17" x 7.5" on the rear with no clearance problems before I switched to 215/45-17 on the back.
You really have those tires stretched on 17"x9" rims!
It's not too bad, could be a little more squared of a sidewall. Every tire is different.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
This look pretty good! May I ask why you want to raise it? Is it looks, ride quality or something else?
The Racingline springs are pretty low and I find the car bottoms out more often than I'd like. I also noticed when I ran the tall 235/45R17 Federal RS-RR's I rubbed through the fender liner on the front driver side.

I think I can sacrifice a bit of aesthetic to be able to fit a wider tire and retain the stock-like feel of a linear spring rate.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
What's up Baka. First off, I've only driven a max of 10 miles at a time. They're buttery smooth on some roads but at speed they will occasionally not bottom but sound close to it (currently on 35 series tires; not sure that can be helped on a Golf R). Despite that they're worlds smoother than stock dampers, the car handles extraordinarily well on the parkway(MUCH better on local streets too). It's just way easier to drive. It wasn't difficult before but I've been pushing it more as I drive and it's been pure pleasure. I drove street cars (70's and 80's Rx's) when I was younger so I'm accustomed to near zero body roll in a street car. The feeling with these combined with the Eibach Pro Springs is not that feeling. There's a little body roll in hard turns and it quickly settles and holds firmly through turns; give a little gas once passed the turn's apex and the car slingshots in a very controlled and predictable fashion. There are a couple of things I'm going to try to increase the car's ability to manage those harsh sharp bumps more smoothly. Ie: 45 series tires and likely a 245 width on 18's. I considered 17's but I just haven't seen any cars that sit right enough with 17x9's. I know 9's may be a lot by some people's opinion but although the car handles really well, more tire on the ground mean's more grip!!! I'm going to do a rear sway bar to eliminate most of the body roll. I just haven't decided on 24 or 26mm yet but afterwards, will provide another "User opinion" on the combination. If anyone that has tried both 24 and 26mm rear sways on an mk7R and is reading this, please share your experience with me.
Peace.

Hey, thanks for the review! Sounds very promising. I'm going to order some 17's myself, as the roads around here are terrible.

PRTYLCKY

The Racingline springs are pretty low and I find the car bottoms out more often than I'd like. I also noticed when I ran the tall 235/45R17 Federal RS-RR's I rubbed through the fender liner on the front driver side.

I think I can sacrifice a bit of aesthetic to be able to fit a wider tire and retain the stock-like feel of a linear spring rate.
Strange that it was driver side only. Maybe the liner wasn't properly fastened? I can't imagine why it wouldn't happen on both sides... unless the it had something to do with someone being in the driver seat???

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Strange that it was driver side only. Maybe the liner wasn't properly fastened? I can't imagine why it wouldn't happen on both sides... unless the it had something to do with someone being in the driver seat???
200 lbs in the drivers seat and lots of hard left turns at the local track would probably do it :)

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I got my yellows installed to pair with my Eibach Sportlines and they feel fantastic. I started them out at a half turn from full soft, a little too stiff for my daily commute with the Sportlines, but they still soaked up a lot of the minor road imperfections. I have since softened up the fronts to about 10% off full and will change the rears when I do a rear sway bar.

Now onto the rear sway bar. Softening up shocks has definitely added some body roll, but the ride is buttery smooth up front. I assume that when I soften up the rears it will add a bit more roll, so I'm wondering if there's a certain size RSB I should go with. 22-23mm or a 24-25mm bar. I will more than likely be adding Superpro rear links, though I've heard good things about the Moog links too. Any advice on the right size bar to reduce the body roll added from softening the shocks?

6AA13DA1-0154-4894-9EDA-F67F8D9184BC.JPG