GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Sport shocks: rear adjustment access

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I am ordering a set of Koni Sport shocks for my '17 Sport, which is both a daily driver and my SCCA G Street autocrosser. I know that Racing Maniac had previously mentioned that he had his rear Koni Sports modified so they could be adjusted without removing them from the car. My recollection was that the modified damping adjustment was made from inside the car at the top of the shock. What modifications did you have to do to the rear mount in order to get to the shock adjuster, and could you clarify how the adjustment was made while at the race site?
Anybody had the damping on Koni Sports modified for autocrossing outside of the standard adjustments they come with, and if so, who did you use to do the work? What did they do to the damping, and were you satisfied with the results?

Feel free to PM me.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Check out Pro Parts USA for conversion.

Also TC Kline sells externally adjustable, double adjustables for mk7.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've checked the TC Kline site a couple of times now. They have both single and double-adjustable shocks listed for Mini's and BMW's but nothing for VW. I've written them to advise if they have suspension parts for the VW GTI Mk. 7.
This item is Part A of my original question. The other part is getting ready access to the adjustment mechanism. The Koni Sport shocks & struts comes standard with adjustable rebound damping- you just have to totally remove the rear shocks from the car to adjust them. I need to be able to make relatively quick adjustments without the process of removal included. The fronts are easy to adjust- just insert the provided plastic knob into the top of the strut and make a couple of quick turns. The rears- not so much.
I've had Koni Sports on several previous cars, so I have some familiarity with them. I'm definitely open to alternate manufacturers, as well as double-adjustable units.

My street bike has a double-adjustable rear shock on it (Elka) with remote compression (high & low speed) damping adjustment, external rebound adjustment & remote spring preload adjustment. I kinda know what I am getting into...

Last edited:

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I heard back from TC Kline today. They no longer carry externally-adjustable, rear shocks for the Mk. 7 GTI. their full response was:

"We no longer offer externally adjustable rear shocks for the GTI.
Koni does make an externally adjustable front sport strut we can supply.

TC Kline"