GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Knock Retard is this normal? -3.00, -3.38, -4.12

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I have tried from OEM, NGK Racing, Ruthenium and now NGK RS7 plugs gapped at 0.024 to get rid of any KR from my EQT ST2 93 or EQT ST2 91 Oct during casual driving with no success. I can register values over -3 pretty regularly. My next move is to do the IC and see what kind of improvements I get.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I run EQT stage 2 and DSG tune and I've always had knock just like that. The only thing that fixes it is mixing in some e85, which I'm sure as hell not gonna do.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You're in the right place then.

1620067089351.jpeg

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
EQT saw 0 knock WOT on 3 pulls in 3rd gear. I noticed -1 to -2 degree timing pull during casual highway driving in higher gears. That disappears when I pump 2 gallons of E85.
https://datazap.me/u/zucchini/eqt-91-tune

Interesting, yeah it's the same for me in Highway Driving. Cause the car constantly tries to reach high gears and keep RPM low. When you need to give it gas it lunks the engine and It knocks. Now I just manually Downshift to 4th from the 7th gear it keeps me in and I get no knock. Or downshift to 5th gear. My RPMs need to be above 2k and I don't get knock. I Thought when my EQT file Arrives it would fix this. I guess it's done to help with fuel economy when highway driving.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Interesting, yeah it's the same for me in Highway Driving. Cause the car constantly tries to reach high gears and keep RPM low. When you need to give it gas it lunks the engine and It knocks. Now I just manually Downshift to 4th from the 7th gear it keeps me in and I get no knock. Or downshift to 5th gear. My RPMs need to be above 2k and I don't get knock. I Thought when my EQT file Arrives it would fix this. I guess it's done to help with fuel economy when highway driving.
some tuners desensitize the knock sensors in lower rpm's for the sake of avoiding situations where people are going to hound them over (usually) false knock.

what you're doing is good practice. even in the city i sometimes find myself having to downshift one or two times in a row due to an incline

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Of course you will see some timing correction getting on it in a higher gear/low RPM. I'd only worry about WOT conditions for timing corrections unless it's egregious. Folks are obsessed with this. If folks drove around with an AP on their stock cars they would lose their minds w/r to timing corrections..hahahahah

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
Of course you will see some timing correction getting on it in a higher gear/low RPM. I'd only worry about WOT conditions for timing corrections unless it's egregious. Folks are obsessed with this. If folks drove around with an AP on their stock cars they would lose their minds w/r to timing corrections..hahahahah
I actually tested that, and found it to not be true.

At least in my experience: the stock tune had no corrections, whereas the Cobb 91 OTS saw ~1.5-3 degrees of correction under similar conditions. Obviously this was just driving around town, so no real controls in place. Though it was fairly consistent, and across a wide variety of driving conditions.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I actually tested that, and found it to not be true.

At least in my experience: the stock tune had no corrections, whereas the Cobb 91 OTS saw ~1.5-3 degrees of correction under similar conditions. Obviously this was just driving around town, so no real controls in place. Though it was fairly consistent, and across a wide variety of driving conditions.
Depends on fuel as well - I've logged our Atlas on 87 and 93 and have seen minor corrections with both fuels. Some correction isn't bad, it means you are pushing timing to the limits which is fine as long as the safety remains in place to back it off it it's too much.