GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Knock Retard is this normal? -3.00, -3.38, -4.12

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I just got my COBB AP and I Installed there Stage 2 tune 93oct, with DSG Aggressive which is suggested on COBB website for 93 pump gas.
My Car is 2020 GTI SE PP DSG.
Mods: CTS intercooler only.
COBB Website for stage 2 suggested mods are intake, and intercooler, stock exhaust is fine.
It's my first time with COBB tune and I'm learning as much as I can about knock retard.

Everything went fine installing COBB tune, it def has more power. But Shifts are weird. Manual mode no issues no knock. In Auto if I do a pull from 2nd or stop no issues no knock. When driving on highway in Auto I get knock when I hit the gas trying to go faster or speed up from the low RPM this tune seems stay at a high gear. Car would be between 1500 or 2000rpm in 6th and 7th gear. When I try I give it gas to go I would see knock. If the car goes to 3000rpm it would switch to next gear while driving normal in traffic. If I'm flooring it WOT it would keep the RPMs higher for a min or 2. Then go back down and immediately and shift to 6th or 7th. All my knock are in the low RPM at high gear.

I live in NYC so driving here is alot of stop and go traffic and when you get those open pockets of space I need to hit the gas to go. This new Cobb tune feels slower then Stock for daily and the power is in the mids. I feel at the low end it's slower.

I'm thinking to Flash back to Stock until I get my EQT files.

Is this a Normal amount of Knock Retard?

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_162036.jpg
    IMG_20210502_162036.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 428

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's a little high but you will get more knock starting at a very low RPM and the trans not downshifting. It's the same thing as lugging the motor with a manual trans. I hated the Cobb tunes and DSG tune and highly recommended getting the EQT ECU and DSG tune. You'll be amazed at the difference with the DSG tune.
In the mean time when needing to accelerate from a low speed and RPM just pull the shifter back to Sport mode and the trans will kickdown faster

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Is this a Normal amount of Knock Retard?
maybe for a cobb tune. From the research I did I've been led to believe they knock excessively and should be avoided. If you just got your AP plug it into the PC and download the updates, maybe that will help.

Last edited:

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
It's normal for Cobb's tune. I ran their stage 1 and was seeing the same amount of knock. When I switch to stratified the highest I saw was around -2. I'm now on EQT and it's the same. Cobb OTS sucks.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
It's a little high but you will get more knock starting at a very low RPM and the trans not downshifting. It's the same thing as lugging the motor with a manual trans. I hated the Cobb tunes and DSG tune and highly recommended getting the EQT ECU and DSG tune. You'll be amazed at the difference with the DSG tune.
In the mean time when needing to accelerate from a low speed and RPM just pull the shifter back to Sport mode and the trans will kickdown faster
It's happening in Sport mode also. Once you get to 4, 5 6 7 gear. Sport and Normal are pretty much the same with RPM around 1500 2000. I just started driving manual instead. I get no knock that way. And I'm currently waiting for EQT to send me there file. I'll stay driving Manual until then. Thanks for input.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
It's normal for Cobb's tune. I ran their stage 1 and was seeing the same amount of knock. When I switch to stratified the highest I saw was around -2. I'm now on EQT and it's the same. Cobb OTS sucks.
EQT is the same? Getting -2 knock on EQT?

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Minus 2 knock isn't bad but I thought you said that you were waiting on the EQT files.
Yeah I am, I thought it would be no Knock from EQT. -2 is better then -3 -4. I'll see once I get the file.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Cobbs tunes are terrible. The AP is what you're really buying from them. Run them at your own peril. The OTS were terrible with my Subarus too