GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kind of over it

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
You’re kind of getting a lot for a 14k car on a really great day. A 5 y/o 3 series is fraught and unless you’re talking Gen 4 or lower on the 4Runner, you’re double the entrance fee and comparing apples to oranges. I’d get rid of it if only to later truly appreciate it honestly.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Also, you could try swapping for the titanium seat bolts and see if that fixes your issue. If it really is your seat creaking. After upgrading to a 25mm RSB on my wagon i've noticed overall more creaking from the pillars as the body flexes. Might look into a strut mount brace or underbody channel brace and see if that helps. Looking at maybe doing this one:
https://www.eurosportacc.com/collec...front-stress-bar-vw-mk7-mk7-5-gti-golf-golf-r

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have no problem jacking on the jacking points and fitting a jackstand AND a jack there, even with a scissors jack.

Regardless, I would trade it if it were me. No warranty, the car annoys you, nothing obviously wrong from a trade-in standpoint, and this is supposed to be a good time to trade. Owning and driving a car should be enjoyable when you're an enthusiast. So if you can afford it, get something else, whether it's a VW or something else.

Last edited:

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
I have a 2015 SE with a manual and I'm kind of over it. I have 60k on it and I'm seriously considering trading it. Maybe you guys can convince me not to (or that I should perhaps).

Problems I have with the car, in order:

- Creaking seat (OH MY GOD THIS PISSES ME OFF WHAT IS IT??)
- No LSD
- I can't jack it up onto stands for shit. This is seriously fucking annoying coming from an E36 BMW.
- Random electrical gremlins -- the one-touch windows randomly forget their tuning, mostly on the driver's window. The radio tunes itself in cold weather.
- Creaking strut mount -- I actually have parts to fix this but see above on jacking
- If I roll down the windows after it's rained I get water spots everywhere. Only car in my life with this issue.
- I'm concerned about crank walk

I've just started tinkering with a 4runner and rebuilt the suspension and the thing is so night and day above the pricey GTI that I am really starting to hate the thing. I am a car guy and I love modding cars, but this VW just doesn't seem compatible with me. Every job is uncomfortable and annoying to ebmark on. Everything about it feels like it was built to confound my efforts.

Is there a path of upgrades I can get on -- mostly regarding an LSD and crank walk pre-emptive fix, that will let me enjoy modding this car and tinkering with it? Or should I just trade it and get something else? It's fully paid off so I feel like I'm wasting my time with it right now when I could get something else. It's in basically immaculate shape and most of my complaints will be invisible to Carmax or whoever.

Thoughts? Flames?
what setup are you running on the car to be worrying about crank walk?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You can also put your jackstands on the front subframe after jacking from the side point, if the job you're doing is okay with that

cezar

Passed Driver's Ed
If seat is all the way down it will creak. One pump chump it up.
It is worse if all the way down but creaks no matter what. If I pump up/down it goes away for half a day. It's like a ratcheting creak noise around turns. DRIVES ME CRAZY.

I appreciate all the thoughtful replies I felt a bit like I was trolling last night but I really genuinely wanted some outside perspectives.

I think what bothers me about the car is that it's just not turn-key for good performance and yet modding it is fraught with issues as well. Going back to the LSD I think that is my #1 concern because to get one I'd have to spend a bunch of money, buy a clutch, do surgery on the gearbox, and then re-assemble, and then I'd be left at the end with a car I have a ton of labor into but is at even higher risk of crank-walk.

I'm leaning towards trading.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
ive never had any of these issues and I never have any issues jacking up my car??

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Why not just sell/trade for a DSG GTI with the performance package?

Less chance of crank walk and has the LSD. And maybe another one won’t have those weird gremlins/creaks.