GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keyfob Replacement

arrosen

Car(s)
2019 Golf S
Hi. New to this forum, but not to VWs

I just bought a 2019 Golf S from Hertz. 22K miles, in beautiful condition for $14K.

Only 2 issues with the car
1. It only came with 1 key. My local dealer wants $440 for a new key and programming. Are there any options, or are there any dealers (in the Los Angeles area) that may have lower prices

2. It didn't come with floor mats. What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. I've seen a lot of mobile locksmiths that say they can program them for a lot less.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
In CT GTI keys were about $175 + 1/2 hr programing. I bougt 2 and they waived programing. It really only takes 5 minutes to program it. I have Weather Tech mats and I'm reasonably happy with them

+1 on welcome and enjoy the ride

Mud

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I bought a used 2018 out of state, same situation when the dealer could not produce the second key. It cost me $225 all in at a local dealer. Call around. Dealer prices are all over the place for this. You will have to bring the car in to program the immobilizer, so figure out how far you are willing to drive to save money.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Welcome to the forum. I've seen a lot of mobile locksmiths that say they can program them for a lot less.
Do you have any names of locksmiths, because AFAIK only VW dealer's have the equipment/and or software to marry a fob to a car. Can these locksmiths also cut the key?

OP, about a year ago when I thought I lost my key, I called my dealer and was told they charged about $300. They're not known for their prices so I would be skeptical about $225, but in today's climate they could be more aggressive with their pricing. Also, unless you know your service advisor personally, dealers want to see the car before they order you a key. And you need to bring the car in for programming. I'm told, the way it usually works at a dealer, is you bring in the car and prove you're the owner, and pay for the fob. The dealer takes your VIN and gives it to parts, they order the key and fob. A VW parts deport cuts the key and sends it along with the fob to your dealer. You bring the car in with your existing fob and they program both keys to your car. They reprogram your existing key so in case your old one shows up, or was stolen, it won't work. This part I can't verify but it makes sense. To everyone who says they only need one key, if you lose your only key, you'll need to pay to have your car towed to the dealer and leave it for 2-3 days until your new keys comes in. And you could need a rental car. Could cost you more than just buying a new one. You might find a used one on eBay, but if you need to have a dealer cut a new key and program the fob it could cost you nearly as much as a new one. Plus you risk the eBay fob is bad. Ebay might reimburse you for your purchase price but they're not going to reimburse you for incidental expenses.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
$440?

Against 14k that's 3% added back to the cost.

I would "politely" tell them to fuck off and then also inform them you won't be doing any service with them since they is obviously suspicious.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When I bought my 2016 GTI last year, it was sold as only having 1 fob. Cleaning out the glovebox, I found the 2nd one tucked away in there. Score!

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Do you have any names of locksmiths, because AFAIK only VW dealer's have the equipment/and or software to marry a fob to a car. Can these locksmiths also cut the key?

OP, about a year ago when I thought I lost my key, I called my dealer and was told they charged about $300. They're not known for their prices so I would be skeptical about $225, but in today's climate they could be more aggressive with their pricing. Also, unless you know your service advisor personally, dealers want to see the car before they order you a key. And you need to bring the car in for programming. I'm told, the way it usually works at a dealer, is you bring in the car and prove you're the owner, and pay for the fob. The dealer takes your VIN and gives it to parts, they order the key and fob. A VW parts deport cuts the key and sends it along with the fob to your dealer. You bring the car in with your existing fob and they program both keys to your car. They reprogram your existing key so in case your old one shows up, or was stolen, it won't work. This part I can't verify but it makes sense. To everyone who says they only need one key, if you lose your only key, you'll need to pay to have your car towed to the dealer and leave it for 2-3 days until your new keys comes in. And you could need a rental car. Could cost you more than just buying a new one. You might find a used one on eBay, but if you need to have a dealer cut a new key and program the fob it could cost you nearly as much as a new one. Plus you risk the eBay fob is bad. Ebay might reimburse you for your purchase price but they're not going to reimburse you for incidental expenses.

You have to bring all of your keys as they all have to be programmed. All I needed was my registration and driver's license.

$225 was for the cut key, fob, and programming. I bought the key and fob through parts, then made an appointment for programming at the same dealer. This was in 2019, pre-pandemic.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

So you would like the name of an Arizona locksmith?