GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key Fob replacement for MK7 in South Florida

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Gents, when I purchased my used 2015 R, it only came with one fob (push-to-start, kessy).
I'd like get an additional fob, but prices are astronomical at the dealer ($400) and local locksmiths don't seem to want to deal with VW's recent fobs and immobilizers.
Do you know anybody in South Florida that could provide a replacement fob at a decent price?
Thank you.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I’ll will keep shopping around then, but the few dealers I’ve called so far are all aligned in terms of pricing…

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
When I had a key made for a normal golf They said the key had to be cut in Jacksonville they were the only place to get it made in FL then programmed at the local dealer

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
A quick update on my key fob experience that, hopefully, will help others in the area where I live.
Dealer prices for a new key fob around $300-$400.
Local locksmiths -> $275-$490 (!)
I tried to buy my own original used fob on eBay (same part number and FCC ID) for $30.
Eventually I came across a nice locksmith, who offered to program it for $180.
He sent over his assistant, who said that my fob was locked and could not be programmed.
They offered to provide their own aftermarket fob + service at $250.
After a few days the assistant came back and tried to program their fob: they ended up erasing the info of my original fob from the vehicle...
The owner came over and after several hours of attempts was able to get my original fob to work, but the aftermarket fob did not work properly.
The aftermarket fob was recognized by the immobilizer, but the buttons on the remote did not work (even though it was operation on the same frequency - 315Mhz).
They ended up selling me the aftermarket fob as "emergency" only for $150: I can open the driver's door with the key blade and start the vehicle by holding the fob next to the ignition ring (steering column).
Just for emergencies...

I hope you'll have better luck with yours.

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I got my spare from local VW dealership, $280. after programming actually took him a minute to get it all working, had to replace battery in new key before everything worked.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Wish I would have seen your post sooner, I could have let you know what you need.

Had to replace a key fob as I bought the car used and only came with one. Best bet is to shop around by part number to find the best price. The Key comes pre-cut from VW if you buy it from a dealer or a dealer reseller. I got mine for about 120 bucks, just give them your VIN to make sure it's the right key and the cut is correct. You'll need a dealer or a local shop with ODIS to get the car to recognize it as the immobilizer has to be programed with the VW servers back in Germany.

Dealer wanted 250 for a program, local shop charged me 100 bucks. Everything works and is good to go.